Bus channels and loudness

Even though i kinda knew in theory how bus channels work , I’ve never tried any until now (more for practise , song was finished anyway)

I made a bus for the drums , which included kick,snare,hihat,tom and crash.
While the individual channel (post) faders none had any (or the master either) peaks over 0db , the newly created drums bus had peaks up to ~+3db.

How should i treat this ? Should i ignore the bus peaks or lower the bus fader volume for no peaks ? Am I losing loudness when I create bus channels throwing many channels in them ?

PS.Sorry if this question sounds noobish.

aw , i had 3 identical sources the vocals :slight_smile: thanx a lot nice 2know now

adding two identical sources each at 0dBFS will get you +6dBFS, not +3.

I might be running a compressor with -7db input on the master bus so …

You probably had these peaks in the mix before, I don’t think they appeared just because you created a bus.

One way to handle peaks is to create projects as 24 bit and start with all faders at -12 dB. Then keep the peaks well below 0 dB while mixing and export with normalize enabled. Normalizing will raise the level if it is low. If you export stem mixes then disable normalizing.

adding two identical sources each at 0dBFS will increase the level to +3dBFS

adding multiple sources each possibly peaking at 0dBFS will most likely make the sum larger than 0dBFS but if and how much above depends on the content so I would say that your observation is expected.

/Anders