Improving novation Launch Control XL Mk2 integration
Hello Ardour community! Thank you for this wonderful software, I appreciate its functionality, nice manual and the open-minded philosophy.
I hope I found the right forum. This is actually about Integrating MIDI Controllers/Scripting/Extending Ardour.
I am starting a new thread on this subject: https://community.ardour.org/node/8593
- I don't want to accept that it is not possible, but rather write a software that enables its full potential. I don't know where this will be going and am seeking your feedback.
Out of the box ( https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/master/midi_maps/Novation_LaunchControl_XL.map ) channel volumes and solo/mute work.
For now I miss:
* record arm for tracks (the whole "select action, then channel"-functionality the device is built for)
* switch Ardour Editor/Mixer view
* select a track and control a selected synth plugin without the need for manual remapping.
* I do not have a Pitch wheel so far, so I want a knob to act as one on a different JACK Midi out.
* Maybe transport buttons
I got inspirated by Jürgen Moßgrabers integration of the APC40 into Bitwig where he switches between different layouts with the help of a controller script for Bitwig (as I understand, that is not possible with Ardour): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNJHAGSeRo
The Launch Control XL sends MIDI note commands for all of its buttons/faders/knobs except for the 2 template buttons.
I am focusing on Linux/JACK and ideally it should work with any DAW.
I am a programmer, know C++ and a little C and would also be comfortable with the LUA scripting of Ardour if necessary.
My current plan is to write a JACK client that acts as a proxy. It would remember the "state", light up LEDs to reflect the state and translate MIDI commands based on the state. On the Ardour side, I hope a MIDI binding map would be enough.
I am appreciating your input! How would you do it? Can I set an active channel in Ardour by MIDI messages? Do I need the LUA scripting?
What functionalities would you want?
That is the device: https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control-xl