the Sara Ashleigh Band
I recently recorded this demo for a blues band I play in.
It was something of a challenge as we tracked everything together live and my space is very, very small. 8' x 17', which is not a ton of room for a drum set, bass amp, guitar amp, and vocalist(and mixer, computer, and couch/corner bass trap). It's reasonably well treated acoustically, and on the dead side, so with careful positioning of microphones and the use of some movable baffles I was able to mostly get the separation I wanted. The only really difficult exception to that was cymbal spill in the vocal mic. I spent a lot of the time mixing trying to dial that out without killing the sound of the drums or the vocals.
Here's the details:
Tracked with Ardour3 (I know, I know. It's working for me here and has never crashed and cost me a session.)
Mixed with Mixbus 32C, the EQ10Q parametric EQ, and the LADSPA Calf reverb.
The hardware was a Soundcraft Spirit LX7 feeding an M Audio Delta 1010LT.
I used 7 inputs, recording the drums in a Glyn Johns style setup:
drums floor tom side: Oktava 219
drums over the kit: Oktava 219
snare drum: SM57
kick drum: D112
guitar amp: SM57
bass amp: AT4033
vocals: Beyer M69
Everything was tracked live. We did a warm up take and then the keeper for each song. Whole session took maybe 3 hours from when the musicians arrived until we packed it in. There are no overdubs, punches, edits, click tracks, software instruments, time stretching, pitch correction or other hijinks. This is what we actually played that evening, for better or worse.