Ubuntu Studio 17.10 Problem

9 replies [Last post]
No Such Error
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline
I can't run Ardour5 in Ubuntu Studio 17.10. I get this error:
ardour-5.11.0 assert failure:***Error in `/usr/lib/ardour5/ardour-5.11.0':free():invalid pointer:0x00007ffc98788b62 **
I'm running Cadence for Jack configuration. It was fine in 16.04 on this machine.
Anyone else got problems with this?

lenovens
User offline. Last seen 1 day 23 hours ago. Offline
You should file that bug with ubuntu on Launchpad. In a terminal type:
ubuntu-bug ardour

And then follow the instructions. A browser will open (firefox?) and lead you through.

Mike_IronFist
Mike_IronFist's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
I've had the same problems. It's frustrating since 17.10 is probably the best release Canonical has had in years. It's consistent across all machines and only occurs with Ardour itself. JACK and other audio programs work just fine. Ardour5 gets the invalid pointer error.
I'm a subscriber and I use the official .run installer, not the package from the repos. It's consistent on every machine I've used running 17.10. Seems to be some sort of compatibility issue specific to 17.10.

I ended up switching to Antergos because I couldn't find a workable solution.

x42
x42's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Hard to say why this happens, a backtrace is needed to (see https://ardour.org/debugging_ardour) to know for sure.

As shot in the dark, I'd suspect a plugin pack which comes with Ubuntu, probably some LADSPA (which is loaded when scanned). You could try to uninstall some plugin-packs or simply /blacklist/ all LADSPAs:sudo chmod 0 /usr/lib/ladspa/ then launch Ardour to quick-check (re-enable with sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/ladspa/.

rinaldimj
rinaldimj's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline
I've installed Ardour right from the Ubuntu repositories and works perfectly.

x42
x42's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 54 min ago. Offline
The OP also uses Ardour from Ubuntu (/usr/lib/ardour5/ardour-5.11.0/.. indicates that), I'm pretty certain that its a plugin installed on the specific machine, but without backtrace there's no way to tell for sure.

No Such Error
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline
x42 seems to be correct, running
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/ladspa/
then Ardour works. Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't have time to look into creating a backtrace I did file a bug report with Ubuntu.
I'm running Ubuntu Studio 17.10 and the latest KXStudio plugins so it's one of their plugins maybe.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 32 min ago. Offline
x42 seems to be correct .... words to live by.

nachordez
User offline. Last seen 4 days 13 hours ago. Offline
Nice clue, x42!
I was suffering the same, and it got solved uninstalling csladspa (which is not from kxstudio) package. Now, ardour/Mixbus open without problems.

Marcel.Lendi
User offline. Last seen 1 day 11 hours ago. Offline
Thank you Nachordez,

I suffered the same problem. Sudo chmod 0 /usr/lib/ladspa/ solves the problem, but I loose some of the plugins I am using. So thank you for a more precise solution. I deleted the csladspa.so, cs_chorus.so and cs_phaser.so from the Ladspa folder and Ardour runs just fine.