sound breaking up on playback

6 replies [Last post]
chippyash
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
I haven't used Ardour in a while, so booted up my Ubuntu Studio. Seeing that a bunch of updates were pending, I went ahead and did the update. Machine is now sitting on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, 4.4.0-104-lowlatency kernel.

Starting up Jack and Ardour, I loaded an old project. Playback on it is very noisy with clicks and glitches. Seeing that an update to Ardour was available (5.12, I was on 5.6,) I downloaded and installed it. Fired up again - same problem. Tried a straight midi recording - same problem.

So, I'm not sure if this is an Ardour problem, an Ubuntu problem or a bit of both. I'd appreciate any help.

chippyash
Booted into previous kernel (Linux Ubuntu-Studio-14-04-LTS 4.4.0-57-lowlatency.) Same problem

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 44 min ago. Offline
What buffer size are you using? It's probably too small for your system (hardware & software) to support.

Polobic
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
I have the same problem, can somebody help me?

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 44 min ago. Offline
same advice. use a larger buffer size.ensure that you have access to realtime scheduling.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 5 min ago. Offline
First make sure your system is correctly configured (Or still correctly configured if an update to the system changed things).

http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

Seablade

chippyash
Well, I had a peek at the settings and all were in order and today fired up and no problems whatsoever! I have no idea, but thanks all that replied.