New OS X focused IRC channel established

To address some of the issues that surround using Ardour on OS X, there is now a new IRC channel, #ardour-osx at irc.freenode.net. Its where we will announce new test releases of the native verion, and where people can visit to seek help for problems that are specific to starting up/installing on OS X. More general ardour questions and issues still belong on the general #ardour channel. For those without IRC software (we recommend xchat, though colloquy on OS X is good too), visit the OS X channel or the regular channel via the mibbit web interface.

I still think there should be an ardour-users channel, for general chat and simple help to give more time to the devs…

Solv: a user channel is no good without the experienced guys around. That means mainly the developers. Being in 2 channels is more, not less work.

I disagree…i can answer HEAPS of newbie questions, and would gladly do so…questions that the devs have probably answered a thousands times and are sick of. The ardour channel should be for development…it’s the same with mythtv they have a #mythtv-users channel for general help and it works very well, and probably many other software packages…it would not be more work if they were NOT on both channels…The forums on here are a classic example, heaps of questions asked that most people who have been using ardour for the last couple of years can help with, without Paul or Sampo saying a word and their issue gets resolved. But it could get resolved much more quickly if they went online.

@Banktank

Did you just press ‘Donate’ or did you pay as part of the download process? The former doesn’t really get you a download, the latter should. If the latter, did you get a transaction ID from Paypal (Receipt etc.)?

Seablade

I am not 100% sure Solv is right. What I think would work is a more dynamic forum for users only. I don’t know how you feel about the actual forum but it is sort of clumsy and slow. I experienced very dynamic forums, using e.g. phpBB, and they seem to work really well. I think IRC channels tend to be messy, too dynamic and that’s typically what devs want in order to get things fixed. An IRC channel for users might be overkill. And most of all, a phpBB forum would be very nice to browse without participating, with all discussion threads rationally sorted out into different and well-defined topics. If I had the time, I could admin such a forum but I seriously don’t have this luxury. Maybe you Solv ? it could be hosted under a domain name like ‘ardour-users.org

I think IRC channels tend to be messy, too dynamic and that’s typically what devs want in order to get things fixed. An IRC channel for users might be overkill. And most of all, a phpBB forum would be very nice to browse without participating, with all bedroom furniture discussion threads rationally sorted out into different and well-defined topics. If I had the time, I could admin such a forum but I seriously don’t have this luxury.

How many expletives? Was it a record?

@seablade: no, banktank just wrote an expletive filled email to me, i gave him his $1 back and i trust that he’s gone for good.

Ahh fun fun.

Seablade

I just paid to download Ardour and it sent me back to pay again. Where do I go to get my download?