AGAIN !!! PreSonus FIRESTUDIO Project

Still struggling in order to get my audio hardware working in Linux / Ardour / Mixbus / REAPER .

Tried all kinds of tweaking in Ardour / Mixbus - Audio Setup, but nothing is helping .

It’s either cannot connect to the audio / midi - engine or something like that …

The FIRESTUDIO project is “working” for YouTube and System Sounds, but the audio output is overally on a very high volume level and in YouTube e.g. the music is distorted and “crackling” .

Linked is a few MP4s, that describe the way I’m trying to launch Ardour, etc .

/ Toni Sirkiä .

You need to mark that dropbox as public, I tried to view but dropbox would not allow unless I logged in. I tried to log in with my google account but it would not allow login unless I granted dropbox permission to view and manage my contacts, which is not going to happen.

Is it working now … ?

/ Toni .

Yes, working now to view without requiring login to Dropbox.

I suspect that some other software is already using the ALSA drivers to access the device, so I am going to copy some instructions previously provided by Paul:

When Ardour cannot access the device, run this command: cd /tmp && wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && bash ./adevices.sh

Show us the output. It will not modify your system.

Note that if the line gets broken because of screen size, there is no break in that command and URL, it is all one long line that you should be able to copy and paste into a terminal window. The shell script will be saved into your /tmp directory and will execute to make a list of all ALSA devices found on your system and whether the device is currently closed or open for use.

Okay … ;

Here’s the output of the given batch / script …

studio@BL-STUDIOs-DAW-A:~$ cd /tmp && wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && bash ./adevices.sh
–2018-06-05 19:45:30-- http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh
Resolving jackaudio.org (jackaudio.org)… 69.163.217.234
Connecting to jackaudio.org (jackaudio.org)|69.163.217.234|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 2249 (2.2K) [application/x-sh]
Saving to: ‘adevices.sh.2’

adevices.sh.2 100%[================>] 2.20K --.-KB/s in 0s

2018-06-05 19:45:31 (231 MB/s) - ‘adevices.sh.2’ saved [2249/2249]

========================================
Part I: ALSA
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.9.0-deepin13-amd64.

Card 0 (Project):

• Playback Device 0 (FireStudio Project):

• Subdevice 0 (hw:Project,0,0):
      closed
  • Recording Device 0 (FireStudio Project):

closed

Part II: jack processes
studio@BL-STUDIOs-DAW-A:/tmp$

What next … ???

I put Rakarrack to test …
and what the ??? … the connection / status led on the interface stays on constant blue ;
I ran the script again … with Rakarrack open,

The output, as you see … is quite different ;

studio@BL-STUDIOs-DAW-A:~$ cd /tmp && wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && bash ./adevices.sh
–2018-06-05 19:59:42-- http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh
Resolving jackaudio.org (jackaudio.org)… 69.163.217.234
Connecting to jackaudio.org (jackaudio.org)|69.163.217.234|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 2249 (2.2K) [application/x-sh]
Saving to: ‘adevices.sh.3’

adevices.sh.3 100%[================>] 2.20K --.-KB/s in 0s

2018-06-05 19:59:42 (280 MB/s) - ‘adevices.sh.3’ saved [2249/2249]

Part I: ALSA
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.9.0-deepin13-amd64.

Card 0 (Project):

• Playback Device 0 (FireStudio Project):

used by: jackd (PID 7106)
      access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
      format: S32_LE
      subformat: STD
      channels: 10
      rate: 48000 (48000/1)
      period_size: 512
      buffer_size: 1536
  • Recording Device 0 (FireStudio Project):

used by: jackd (PID 7106)
      access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
      format: S32_LE
      subformat: STD
      channels: 10
      rate: 48000 (48000/1)
      period_size: 512
      buffer_size: 1536

Part II: jack processes
7106 ? SLsl 0:00 /usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -m -dalsa -r44100 -p512 -n3 -D -Chw:Project -Phw:Project

Great, jackd is working now, get to recording. :slight_smile:

More seriously, were the same applications running when you attempted to start Ardour and when you ran that script? You specifically mentioned YouTube before, was a browser running when you attempted to start Ardour and when you ran the script? It does not appear that your system uses PulseAudio, or there would be an entry like this under one of the devices: used by: pulseaudio
If your system only has directly ALSA connections and not Pulse then one application running and connecting with exclusive access to the ALSA device could prevent another application from connecting at the same time.

Something is start JACK with incorrect arguments. The -T makes it a “temporary” server that will exit when there are no more clients. The “-ndefault” should preferably never be used, and should almost certainly never have been documented. Possibly never implemented. Please figure out what is responsible for adding these and stop it from happening. Unless it is Ardour, in which I apologize :slight_smile: