MIDI Happenings

Dave "MIDI" Robillard writes: Hi all. Thought I’d make a little post on MIDI stuff so things appear alive to you weirdos who aren’t on IRC 24 hours a day. Just some random not-very-prepared screenshots:

An older shot showing multi-line controllers, and the editor controllers: Editor controls. On MIDI controller tracks (CC) the bar controllers can be used to record/touch, or twiddled in realtime to control MIDI apps/gear.

MIDI import was introduced yesterday (Importing MIDI is done with the same dialog as audio, though it doesn’t look appropriate yet..). Here’s some Mozart imported into Ardour from a (single, multi-track) Standard MIDI File: Mozart Import.

Other new stuff is correct handling of MIDI streams/files with several channels, ability to create controller tracks for a specific channel, fixed the infamous “all region notes stuck at random times” bug, and several other crash bugs. The import shots above also show the newer version of the ClearLooks GTK engine used, with a ’gloss’ effect (just because). It’s not designed or coloured well at all though - if anyone out there wants to make a pretty colour theme for 3.0 we’re taking applications :)

Next up: more bug fixes, MIDI export, implement remaining MIDI features (so passing MIDI through Ardour is completely lossless), then MIDI effect plugins (and possibly instrument plugins).

Master Tracks Pro 3.6 for

Master Tracks Pro 3.6 for the Atari:

http://linux-sound.org/images/mtpro-note-editor.png

Double-click on a selected note in the piano-roll and the Note Editor pops up. The MIDI channel can be changed in that editor, as seen in the screenshot.

Voice sounds good, Paul, and

Voice sounds good, Paul, and Daveś pic of Mastertrackspro seems to take care of voice/channel manipulation. If record midi in by ´voice´ by channel by port is implemented, then we could record the bulk of the midi freehand, and with a pop up editor, make further neccessary adjustments, or tweaking.
Only speaking for myself here, and keeping in mind i am very much in the minority as a classical writer, using midi in bulk amounts that few would ever need or get near to, i can see this as a speedy input/workflow bonus. Far too many times in the past, and present, midi sequencer devs (in the commercial arena) forget those of us who use a lot of midi/channel/ports, and as a result of this, are restricted by somewhat bewildering programme limitations, so an unlimited framework for midi, as well as audio, immediately puts ardour in the lead. (Imho) Pretty well the only way to get around this currently is to have multi channels per track (which is usually in itself limited to 16 channels per track), or a hell of a lot of tracks with the resultant scrolling.

Couple of questions.
You write of default onevoice=channel>1 port. Could this be in tandem with a more complex and ´viewable´ porting matrix of some sort, or a box in which we can manually change this according to individual requirements? I can see handling 3 or 4 voice/channel/single port as ok, but for heavyweight midi porting, i wonder if a popup visual patchbox per track would be useful too. (Keeping in mind your advice to me that Ardour is a tape recorder paradigm in essence, something i am enjoying as much for the memories, as getting my head around it.)

And if a note has already been inputted on voice/channel 1, and i decide to change it after the event to voice/channel 2, how would that work in the unique inline editor? Dave´s popup?

Alex.

Channels may not be so

Channels may not be so important in the soft/virtual world.. but when you are addressing a number of external synths this is extrememly important..

About Ardour3, midi, jack

About Ardour3, midi, jack and linuxsampler

I am trying for months to start using Ardour3 for midi sequencing in combination with Linuxsampler. Linuxsampler connects to midi using alsa- midi, therefore i can not connect it to Ardour. It seems with a2jmidid you can connect jack-midi to alsa-midi, but it also seems that since jackd 109.2 a2jmidid is included in jack. Either way, in jack109.2 (with -Xseq) i can't see how to connect jack-midi to alsa-midi.

I hope someone will reply, telling me it's simple to connect to alsa midi ports like linuxsampler's midi-in with jack, that i just have to do ..... ! Thanks!

Edit: at the moment only linuxsampler from cvs contains a jack-midi-driver. linuxsampler-0.5.1 does not.

sounds great. I’m looking

sounds great. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Nuewo

This is a tool for musicians

This is a tool for musicians to generate MIDI controller variations. A typical use for that would be to create random settings of certain controllers of an instrument within a specified range.

violin

yeap, loock

yeap, loock great

Is it possible to stream

Is it possible to stream MIDI from one 'master' computer to another computer on a LAN? This was really very interesting to me. Aside from i make myself busy collecting and making jewelries. I also found myself wanting to know more about computer and staff. ~~~ Jewelry Displays

That is, each voice is a

That is, each voice is a standalone midi route at the low level, but shares view axis with several different other tracks, making up the “voices” of that track. Operations and settings for such a track may (or may not) apply to all voices. This way you’ll get one independent playlist and one MIDI port (routable to anywhere you like) for each voice. Flagstaff Doctors

An unlimited framework for

An unlimited framework for midi, as well as audio, immediately puts ardour in the lead. (Imho) Pretty well the only way to get around this currently is to have multi channels per track (which is usually in itself limited to 16 channels per track), or a hell of a lot of tracks with the resultant scrolling.

arizona dentists

an unlimited framework for

an unlimited framework for midi, as well as audio, immediately puts ardour in the lead. (Imho) Pretty well the only way to get around this currently is to have multi channels per track (which is usually in itself limited to 16 channels per track), or a hell of a lot of tracks with the resultant scrolling.

arizona dentists

It looks

It looks great.thanks.Hydraulic Valves