Ardour and Hydrogen not showing in Qjackctl

I’ve been following bennyp’s tut: http://70.24.158.31:8080/ardourtut.php

But on page 2 where it shows how to patch in readable clients to writables I’m stuck because all qjackctl shows in connect dialogue is alsa_pcm. Neither Ardour nor Hydrogen are in list.

I’ve tried playing with settings but nothing changes. Anyone know a solution to this?

in qjackctl did you click the ‘start’ button?

yep, but I think I’ve found what the problem is - jack will sometimes shutdown when started from qjackctl for some reason. When that happens I restart it but no connections from other progs will show up until i restart/reconnect them.

No idea why jack shuts down. It seems to stay running when started from a terminal…

chances are, jack is running. just not the transport. you probably need to make sure that you have all of the config options in qjackctl set to choices that will work with your system. for example, i’ve been using the linux version of jack (and qjackctl) for a long time… BUT, when i tried out the mac os x port, transport kept dying after trying to start it. turns out, the sample rate was set to 48000… my particular mac model only supports 44100. once i fixed that, everything worked fine. so, my advice is to make sure that all of your config options are okay. you could also make sure to click on the ‘messages’ button in qjackctl before trying to start the transport. there’s a good chance that something will show up explaining what went wrong.

oh, also, it’s always a good idea to start jack before any of the apps you plan to use with it. if the apps can’t connect to jack when they start up, they may try to use a different system to output their audio data, such as OSS, or ALSA, etc… that is, if they don’t give you a big fat error telling you that they can’t connect to jack as a client, or something like that.

Ardour in particular will start JACK for you if no JACK server is running when it is started.

qjackctl will connect to this instance if you start qjackctl subsequently.

but yes, the desired order is normally:

1. start qjackctl (or jackpilot)
  2. use qjackctl (or jackpilot) to start the JACK server
  3. start other apps

I have had this problem in past - In my case it stemmed from having multiple versions of libjack installed… Find out what version of libjack you should have installed and delete all other versions. (or as I did - delete all versions and reinstall the version you are actually using.

Hope that helps