Ardour: How to copy left channel audio to right channel?

Hello everybody…
I’m new in Ardour’s world… i used to work with Adobe Audition in Windows, now i’m using Ubuntu Linux…
Ardour seems to be interestin and powerful, but i have a little problem:
I want to record an electroacoustic guitar track from line-in, at this point no problem, but when I play the recorded track only the left channel sounds… i had the same problem in Audition solved with a copy-paste left channel info to right channel, so the question is:

How can I copy the left channel audio to the righ one?

Hope you can help me.

PD: Excuse me 'bout my really bad english…

Presumably if this is a guitar you are only recording one input? Therefore your input is mono - it does not have a left and right track, only one mono track. You should create a mono track in ardour and record to that. Then you do not need 2 copy left to right - a mono track can be placed anywhere in the stereo image using the pan controls.

Thank you very much… your comments are welcome.

Yes, i’m using a mini plug to connect to line-in and the record track is mono audio… but i need a stereo sound… how do i get it? what are the pan controls? where to find them in ardour?
Thanks.

José Tlaseca.

It’s very easy, actually.

Create a stereo track (e.g. Mymonoguitar), then go to Connect(ions) in Jack Audio Control Kit, and connect the Capture_1 (or whatever is capturing your guitar) to Mymonoguitar 1 and Mymonoguitar 2 Ardour inputs. And there you go.

the last solution does create a stereo track but you will hear exactly the same as a mono track due to the phase between L and R, which contain the exact same content and at the exact same moment. All you get by doing so is a duplicate amount of data on your HD. If you can play with the phase (opposition) then you can achieve extreme stereo effects. I sometimes fiddle around with mono sources that I get from the web (see e.g. http://www.findsounds.com) when I want to introduce some interesting noises in my music. For example, I recently dl’ed a sledgehammer noise in the form of a mono wav file. I opened audacity, imported the wav file, created a second mono track and replicated the data on the second track. Then I time shifted one of the mono tracks so that the pattern sort of matched along the timeline (since the audio had a rough periodic pattern I could do this). Then I panned each mono track to extreme L and R respectively, mixed down to a stereo track. The result sounded really cool and broad! :slight_smile: I finally imported the resulting stereo track to ardour. So, in conclusion, I find audacity quite valuable for all sorts of quick audio editing, transformation, etc. I use ardour in a non destructive way because I never know if I will change anything or not even if I think my music is finished. Experience showed me that I am the kind of person who can just undo and reshape a whole project even months after completion. I find ardour’s policy of non destructiveness extremely valuable!

"It’s very easy, actually.

Create a stereo track (e.g. Mymonoguitar), then go to Connect(ions) in Jack Audio Control Kit, and connect the Capture_1 (or whatever is capturing your guitar) to Mymonoguitar 1 and Mymonoguitar 2 Ardour inputs. And there you go"

when i go to JACK menu there’s 3 options “Disconnect”, “Reconnect” (can’t click it) and “Latency”, so i can’t connect “capture_1”…
What i’m doing wrong?

"I opened audacity, imported the wav file, created a second mono track and replicated the data on the second track. Then I time shifted one of the mono tracks so that the pattern sort of matched along the timeline (since the audio had a rough periodic pattern I could do this). Then I panned each mono track to extreme L and R respectively, mixed down to a stereo track. The result sounded really cool and broad! :) I finally imported the resulting stereo track to ardour."

I will try that… will use metacity in that way… and tell you how it goes…

Than you (all of you) very much…
i will return to say what happened.

Hi José,

It looks like you are confusing matters within ardour. The JACK menu you just mentioned has nothing to do with the issue of this thread. What you need to access is the Input menu of the stereo track you had just created for your recording.

In ardour :

• create a stereo track
  • access the mixer strip of that track (either from the mixer window - Alt+M - or from the dedicated mixer strip in the editor window - Shift+E). Be sure you have the track selected when you do this in the edtor window.
    In the mixer strip, you will find a button called Input. Left-click on it and select Edit. You will have a window where you can select which jack ports to connect to the track input. Select your guitar capture port for both track inputs. But again, you will end up with what I described just before in my previous post.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the external application called Jack Audio Connection Kit. Being sort of new to Ardour myself (sporadic user), I was not aware that there is a more straightforward way of doing it.

As for the merits of my example, yes indeed, there result is a waste of disk space as Thorgal pointed out (I used the trick when I was even newer to Ardour and the whole DAW world just to get the guitar sound on both channels while I was recording other tracks – no time to RTFM or other useful books when the muse strikes :wink: – I presume there has to be a more elegant way to achieve the goal I’ve just described).

Perhaps the more knowledgeable people here, such as thorgal, could help you out better if you told them what is that you want to achieve (e.g. is it a stupid trick like mine was, or you have something more sophisticated in mind).

@tictactatic :
your trick is not stupid and I also did the same at the very beginning. But it was soon obvious that this was not providing what I expected.

For example : when I record myself playing acoustic guitar, since I only have one very good mic to capture the sound, the resulting traack is mono. To make it stereo, I record myself a second time on another mono track (it requires a steady playing and you may have to redo it a few times or edit timing mistakes). Then I pan one track to -1.0 and the other to +1.0. At the end, it sounds really great: a total stereo soundtake. The fact that you pan left and right two different sources garanties that there’s no phase issue that would kill the stereo effect.

To convince you, just apply your trick : record your mono source once but not to a stereo track but to two mono tracks at the same time (e.g. connect system:capture1 to track1:in1 and track2:in1). Pan track1 to the left, track2 to the right (but at equal amounts! just pan them to both ends of the panning area). Now play the audio in ardour : you will hear it like a mono track, in spite of the applied panning. Now the tricky thing : time-shift one of the tracks a tiny bit (a few millsecs should do) … what do you hear ? it’s a different story isn’t it :slight_smile:

you can read this quick article :
http://www.pugetsoundman.com/articles/stereo/stereo.htm

Thanks a lot for your comments…

@tictactatic:
I did things the way you post (with thorgal’s help) and it works… now i know there are some tricks i need to learn with some practice… but for now… it works for me… thank u…

@thorgal:
Thanks for advice me and correct my confusion… i promise i will try to do with your method, and post results… it sounds very interesting…
thank you very much for your time…

THANKS A LOT…

thorgal, I am already convinced :slight_smile: I honestly had no ambitions to achieve any stereo effects, but now that you have opened my horizons, the exploration shall begin. And thanks for the article link. It’ll come in handy in the experimentation.

It’ll also come in handy if I ever come through with my plan to start a site (got the domain already audiolinux.com .org .net), dedicated to recording and producing music under Linux from musician’s/layman’s perspective (e.g. rating/reviews of LADSPA plugins, what’s the deal with Lv2 etc.). Perhaps there is something out there, but googling around I only found snippets here and there (including some very good stuff on this forum). If it ever comes into existence, all this advice will get its rightful place there.

there’s already an effort that started about 2 months ago at this place :
www.linuxmusicians.com

right now, it’s just a forum. I think they’re planning to extend it further with a WIKI. In my opinion, they could get inspired by a couple of french speaking websites that I know well :

www.linuxmao.org : pure linux DAW related stuff
www.audiofanzine.fr : more general DAW topics, excellent hardware database with user reviews, etc (I got a lot of tips from there but you need to be fluent in french, which I am). There’s also an audiofanzine forum but with the rise of myspace, it killed the activity by a lot …

@ Thorgal:

Oh my God… I have read tips in the link you posted and now i have tried the “mono pan trick” you mentioned and sounds great!!! Awesome…

Thank you very much… now i’m recording my firs demo track… just for listen songs i’ve written and just for fun…

Cheers!!!

I forgot to set “SOLVED” this thread…

doing now…

SOLVED…

Hi José,

You’re welcome. My trick is just a poor one but it can do the job in many situations if you just want a rough stereo effect. The real challenge is to reproduce the natural stereo spacing from recordings. That’s another story … :slight_smile:

Hello again…

I don’t know if can U help me in one problem i have…

The post is:

http://ardour.org/node/1890

Thank you anyway…