what to do with random seg fault

Hi,

I would like to know what the best thing to do is when I Ardour randomly crashes, with the message “Segmentation fault (core dumped)”.

I mean, I like ardour and it is one of the best DAWs I have used, but I would like to help it mature past random crashes if I can.

To give an example of what I mean, and what motivated me to write this, a few seconds ago I tried to ctrl-drag on a track to zoom in on it and down ardour went. Yet, I have done this many times without it crashing and I cannot reproduce this error consistently.

So is there a good way to debug this?

regards,
Rich

I just tried method 2 for getting a core dump that is usable for a backtrace. i.e “ulimit -c unlimited”, but there is no core.[pid] file when ardour seg faults. I would like to be able to do this, as it sucks having to run ardour in gdb all the time. Nonetheless, my most recent crash is reproducible, so I’m submitting a bug.

http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour

Ah, thanks! I was looking for how to do this… a couple questions:

I would preferably not run ardour through gdb every time I want to write music, but I do want to help. The second option; “Generating backtraces from core dumps”, is this done while running ardour from the command-line/shortcut, and then handed to gdb after the crash? I assume ardour still needs to be compiled with “-g” for this to work…

regards,
Rich