Problem with recording
I'm running into a very basic problem. I can't seem to get Ardour to record anything, or even play back. I am running on SuSe 10.3 and I've installed all the libraries. I've compiled it from source (version 2.4.1) and as far as I can tell, the compile was successful. Ardour does start up and I can do create tracks and tweak values, but when I hit the play button, nothing happens.
This is what I do:
1. I start up the jack server from the command line with "jackd --driver alsa". Jack loads up everything and it looks okay.
2. I start up QJackCtl and connect it. Seems to work. For some reason, I can't start Jack server automatically with it, but running it at the command line seems to work fine (step 1).
3. I start up Ardour. I see all the Jack connections, etc, seems to be okay.
4. I make a new track, assign a name, etc...
5. I set the input channel on new track to the output of the alsa channels.
6. I set the output to default.
7. I click the record button on the track.
8. I click the record button on the master transport controlls.
9. I click the play button...
nothing. The time doesn't increment or give me any indication that it is recording any data. I never see anything happening and the play button just seems to be broke. I even tried to load up an audio file and play it, but that doesn't seem to work either.
What am I missing? Could I have a bad compile? Or something in the Jack engine not set right? It looks okay. Is there anything I can check? I'd appreciate any comments or help you an offer. Thanks a bunch. The program looks great, just want to use it.