Pure Data, Jack Transport and Ardour

Hi this is my first post

Cracking piece of software this. Definately interested to use it more in the future. Many thanks!

I’m not too sure whether this is the right forum to be posting in. I’ve been experimenting with the trnsport capabilities of Jack and using it to fire off sequences in Pure DAta. I compiled an external for PD called jack_transport which basically reads the messages spat out by Jack.

It all works perfect - i get Measures, beats, tempo etc - except that I can’t rewind to the beginning of the session. It momentarily rewinds then snaps back to position it was last stopped at.

The only way to remedy is to switch off ‘Jack Master’ in Ardour then I can rewind, but as soon I switch it back on, it snaps back. I think somewhere it is caught in a loop and referencing the global positon, but somehow Ardour is not acting as master

Any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Si

How are you initiating a rewind? from PD or from Ardour?

Its a rewind from Ardour. I dont think the object in PD has the functionality to rewind, only start/stop

thanks

On further testing, I think the problem lies with Ardour. Generally I think Jack mode is broken on OS X.

When it is set to Time master (which in this case it needs to be) Ardour is ‘locked’. Start/Stop works but rewind/forward doesn’t. Nordoes moving the playhead with the mouse. Turning off Time master and transport works normally

This is without any other app connected to Jack, so internally there is a problem. I emailed the author of the Pd external and he doesn’t have any problems in Linux.

I did initially think it was because of x11, but it appears to be the same in 2.4.1 in the native version aswell. Is this fixed in 2.5, or do I need to log a bug somewhere?

many thanks

You should try to launch Jack before Ardour, using JackPilot (from http://www.jackosx.com). I did not try any synchronisation but this solved any audio problem for me. Configure your audio settings within the preferences, save and launch. It works perfectly for me: aggregated internal soundcards for simultaneous input and output, firewire…

I did initially think it was because of x11, but it appears to be the same in 2.4.1 in the native version aswell. Is this fixed in 2.5, or do I need to log a bug somewhere?
thanks to all and author…
regards,

juice cayenne pepper diet

Thank you very much! I am using my new Ardour2.8.11 rev.7387 which its default setting is Time master on . @_@

I just can’t move my position until seeing this old article. After turning off it, I can control it as usual. Thank you very much!

I have the same problem when i try to sync Hydrogen with Ardour through Jack Transport. I use Ardour 2.8.11 on Linux. I can go back if I “play” with turning of jacktransport and switching TimeMaster from Ardour to Hydrogen and back.
I’m a kind of a beginner, so sorry, if I bothered somebody needlessly.
(I know it’s the MacOS part, but the problem is the same, that’s why i wrote here)