ardour 2.5 install / upgrade

I’m using Ubuntu Hardy, and installed ardour through add applications… Well, it installed version 2.3. How do I upgrade to 2.5? Is it necessary to compile it to get the 2.5, or is there any “software sources” I can add to my list so that version 2.5 of ardour can be installed and upgraded to automaticaly?

You could try downloading from this site:
http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=Ardour
(Note: I’ve no idea if it’ll work, I just googled for it)

I downloaded this version @ the link given. There were no instructions included (that I have found, as of yet) as to how to install. Plus, I did the same as rafafredd (downloaded the same earlier version of Ardour from the add/remove application… into my Ubuntu 8.04.1 (not Ubuntu Studio).

Also, could someone please tell me if I need to ‘remove’ previous version of Ardour before I do install (assuming I get this part of problem resolved, i.e. use this compilation to install)?

Thanks much.

You could try downloading from this site:
http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=Ardour

(Note: I’ve no idea if it’ll work, I just googled for it)

Thanks, but it’s too late for this. I’ve compiled it myself, and now I have many other problems with ardourvst and PERMISSIONS. I can’t really get it to work like it should. I have to run both jack and ardour as root for realtime, and then wine can’t access home. All these permissions matters is still hard for me to understand and overcome, as a newbie on linux world. I’m trying many google searches, but nothing so long…

If you’re unable to use JACK in realtime as a regular user, you probably need to make yourself a member of the “audio” group (you’ll have to create the group if it doesn’t already exist). Then give the audio group permission to access the rtprio, nice, and memlock limits with the following commands:

sudo su -c ‘echo @audio - rtprio 99 >> /etc/security/limits.conf’
sudo su -c ‘echo @audio - nice -10 >> /etc/security/limits.conf’
sudo su -c ‘echo @audio - memlock 250000 >> /etc/security/limits.conf’

Of course, this is assuming you have the realtime kernel installed as well.