Ardour 2.5 VST- how do I actually use VST plugins in ardour?

No replies
tbonedude
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline
I followed this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801718 , and I finally have my copy built and installed. Now what? I opened a project I'm working on, and I have some VST plugins placed in my usr/lib/vst directory, but when I search for the plugins to add them to the project, I cant find them. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to run a bridge of some kind in WINE and route it into ardour via jack? I know thats what some people do, but I want to get them running without that method. Any thoughts? I already searched this forum and the internet and could find no answers. Also, I don't have any errors coming up in the log, so I have know idea whats going on.

dissected
dissected's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 29 weeks ago. Offline
I think you also need to set the environment variable VST_PATH to point to the directories with your vst's.

tbonedude
stupid question, but how do I do that?

Dazgard
User offline. Last seen 15 min 10 sec ago. Offline
hi,
export VST_PATH=∕usr/lib/vst

tbonedude
Thanks Dazgard!! I'm up and running now. So, anyone have suggestions on where to get good free VST plugins? Thanks All!!

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 20 min ago. Offline
www.vst4free.com

Be forewarned that there are 2 main variables which will determine how well they work:

1. How well they work with JACK
2. How well they work with FST

In my experience about 40% of VST plugins work in Ardour with the same stability as their LADSPA counterparts.

Here is a short list I have personally tested for over a year in ArdourVST

http://www.ardour.org/node/2120#comment-8521

tbonedude
Thanks for the reply GMag. I'll defiantly test out of the ones on your list.