"Expose"-track Button

Hi everyone!
I just thought about a possibly really useful feature for the Ardour mixer. When you use effects (especially EQ) on a single track or bus, it is often important to be able to hear the track clearly by itself, but you still have to hear the other tracks in the background, so you can make sure the effects fit well in the mix.
For that purpose it would be awesome to have a button in every track that would reduce the volume of all the other tracks by a few dB when it is pressed. I don’t really know what to call it, maybe an “Expose”-track button.
I really don’t know how hard or easy this would be to program, it’s just an idea.

However, thanks to Paul and the whole Ardour team for all the awesome work they have done on Ardour! Without Ardour I would not be able to do audio engineering the way I do.

Greetings
Kevin
PS: Please excuse my English :wink:

This is an option that exists on other systems and has been called ‘solo in front’. There is a dim/attenuation level that is set somewhere in the options. When the solo system is in the ‘solo in front’ mode a solo’d channel doesn’t mute all other non solo’d channels, it attenuates them by the set amount. There is then no need for a new button on each track, it’s just a new mode for soloing.

Cool! That would be just as useful. Is there any chance something like that could be implemented into Ardour?

very strong chance.

not sure what version though. v2.X is nearing feature-freeze-ish-ness.

I’m really glad to hear that. I’m sure v2.x+n is soon enough :wink: Thanks Paul!