Ardour 3 compile error

I’m having some trouble compiling ardour 3. For some reason it is telling me I dont have a dependency which adept tells me I have. Here is the terminal output starting where I have the error:

Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0… yes
Checking for aubio… yes
Checking for ogg… yes
Checking for gthread-2.0… yes
Checking for lrdf… yes
Checking for libgnomecanvas-2.0… yes
Checking for gtk±2.0… yes
Checking for jack… yes
Checking for flac… yes
Checking for sndfile… no
sndfile >= 1.0.18 not found.
You do not have the necessary dependencies required to build ardour
Please consult http://ardour.org/building for more information
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1
debuild: fatal error at line 1247:
debian/rules build failed

Thanks in advance for your help. I’m using kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5 if that helps.

Maybe you want to check this thread

http://ardour.org/node/2105

you will probably have to download libsndfile 1.0.18 source and compile.

got that fixed. Now I get this error in scones. Not sure to make of it though:

In file included from libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc:40:
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:69: error: invalid covariant return type for ‘virtual std::set<unsigned int, std::less, std::allocator > ARDOUR::VSTPlugin::automatable() const’
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:131: error: overriding ‘virtual std::set<Evoral::Parameter, std::lessEvoral::Parameter, std::allocatorEvoral::Parameter > ARDOUR::Plugin::automatable() const’
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:132: warning: ‘virtual std::string ARDOUR::Plugin::describe_parameter(Evoral::Parameter)’ was hidden
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:75: warning: by ‘std::string ARDOUR::VSTPlugin::describe_parameter(uint32_t)’
libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc: In member function ‘boost::shared_ptrARDOUR::Plugin ARDOUR::PluginInsert::plugin_factory(boost::shared_ptrARDOUR::Plugin)’:
libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc:526: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type ‘ARDOUR::VSTPlugin’
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:51: note: because the following virtual functions are pure within ‘ARDOUR::VSTPlugin’:
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:132: note: virtual std::string ARDOUR::Plugin::describe_parameter(Evoral::Parameter)
scons: *** [libs/ardour/plugin_insert.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
peter@PETER-P:~/Desktop/ardour-3.0.0/ardour-3.0$

Thanks again!!

don’t even think of wasting time building 3.0 with VST=1 unless your actual plan is to debug and fix all the issues.

Actually, I thought VST was the problem right now, so I’m not even bothering with compiling it in 3.0 yet. But, now that everything compiles, where is the executable located, so that I can make a shortcut on my desktop to launch 3.0? Thanks again.

/usr/local/bin/ardour3 ?

When compiling stuff I always recommend using a prefix (in ardours case ‘scons PREFIX=’).
I compile my stuff to /opt/package-name-and-version (like /opt/ardour3-svn4591) and use ‘stow’ to populate /usr/local with symbolic links.

This way it’s easy to remove a compiled package (stow -D and rm -r /opt/whatever) and to switch between different versions of a package.

So, now I have a shortcut. But, now I have a new problem. I try to compile and I get a message about having no changelog, and it wont let me keep building. Here is the output:

Your source does not include revision information.
Please check out the code from a repository or use a properly packaged version!
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 255

Thanks again!

What are you trying to build? ardour3 again?

If you get these errors it’s usually easiest to remove the whole directory and get the source fresh again.

Tried that already. I think I will just wait to try Ardour 3 until it is finally. I wonder how long it will take for the first non-beta release of ardour3? I don’t care how long it takes, as long as it works well.

I downloaded last version (3.0) from repositories using

svn co http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/ardour2/branches/3.0

and i get this error:

g++ -o libs/midi++2/libmidi++.so -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -pipe -DARCH_X86 -mmmx -march=i686 -msse -mfpmath=sse -DUSE_XMMINTRIN -DBUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -shared libs/midi++2/fd_midiport.os libs/midi++2/fifomidi.os libs/midi++2/midi.os libs/midi++2/midichannel.os libs/midi++2/midifactory.os libs/midi++2/midimanager.os libs/midi++2/midiparser.os libs/midi++2/midiport.os libs/midi++2/midnam_patch.os libs/midi++2/mmc.os libs/midi++2/mtc.os libs/midi++2/version.os libs/midi++2/jack_midiport.os -Llibs/glibmm2 -Llibs/sigc++2 -Llibs/evoral -Llibs/pbd -lsigc++2 -lxml2 -levoral -lglibmm2 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -lpbd -ljack -lpthread -lrt scons: *** [libs/ardour/amp.os] TypeError `Tried to lookup File 'libs/taglib/headers/taglib' as a Dir.' trying to evaluate `${_concat(INCPREFIX, CPPPATH, INCSUFFIX, __env__, RDirs, TARGET, SOURCE)}' scons: building terminated because of errors.

in rock we trust.

i72peesj: See this, http://ardour.org/node/2248, for suggestions

Sorry but i get this error only the first time i compiled with

scons FFT_ANALYSIS=1 SLV2=1 VST=1 NLS=1

But it dissapeared, and now im getting this error:

In file included from libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc:40:
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:69: error: tipo de devolución covariante inválido para ‘virtual std::set<unsigned int, std::less, std::allocator > ARDOUR::VSTPlugin::automatable() const’
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:131: error: se sustituye ‘virtual std::set<Evoral::Parameter, std::lessEvoral::Parameter, std::allocatorEvoral::Parameter > ARDOUR::Plugin::automatable() const’
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:132: aviso: ‘virtual std::string ARDOUR::Plugin::describe_parameter(Evoral::Parameter)’ estaba escondido
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:75: aviso: por ‘std::string ARDOUR::VSTPlugin::describe_parameter(uint32_t)’
libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc: In member function ‘boost::shared_ptrARDOUR::Plugin ARDOUR::PluginInsert::plugin_factory(boost::shared_ptrARDOUR::Plugin)’:
libs/ardour/plugin_insert.cc:526: error: no se puede asignar un objeto de tipo abstracto ‘ARDOUR::VSTPlugin’
libs/ardour/ardour/vst_plugin.h:51: nota: porque las siguientes funciones virtual son pure dentro de ‘ARDOUR::VSTPlugin’:
libs/ardour/ardour/plugin.h:132: nota: virtual std::string ARDOUR::Plugin::describe_parameter(Evoral::Parameter)
scons: *** [libs/ardour/plugin_insert.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Paul stated in the third comment in this post (had you bothered to look, or use the search function) that Ardour3 and VST isn’t something mere mortals should try to compile (yet anyways).
Remove the VST=1 from the scons line and try again.

If you really need/want VST try dssi and dssi-vst instead and connect it through inserts in Ardour.

almost…
if you tried running scons with VST=1, it will not be enough to just remove that now, because this parameter is written into the ‘scache.conf’ file in the top of your ardour source. so if now you wanna compile without VST you will have to use the VST=0 switch.

cheers,
doc

Still getting the “invalid covariant return type” error when compiling Ardour 3 with VST (rev. 4649). Is this still something that should not be attempted, even though Ardour is using vestige now?