Record MIDI

New to this stuff (previously Tascam 244 then Cubase on Atari then long absence due to marriage!). Fantastic software and very easy to use. I have it running with analogue signals & Hydrogen drum machine beautifully but I now have ZynaddsubFX running too and I want to record the MIDI information rather than the output signal. I used to do this on my Atari. I’ve looked through Ben Powers’ tutorial but I’m not sure he cover this yet? Be gentle, I’m getting on a bit!

Cheers

MIDI sequencing will make it in ardour 3.0, but the release date is not yet known as the 3.0 dev branch is still experimental. A workaround is to use another MIDI sequencer like rosegarden, qtractor, muse, etc, and sync’ it to ardour via jack transport mode. Ardour and the MIDI sequencer will become jack slaves and all will be synch’ed nicely. So get a MIDI sequencer app and record MIDI events in there. Play it back through Zyn. and record the Zyn outputs in ardour. It’s kind of easy. If you want a quick teaser, check my lame youtube video (I don’t comment anything though). I use rosegarden as the MIDI sequencer and a VSTi as my drum software. I sequence it in rosegarden and play ardour tracks (guitar, bass) along via jack transport mode.

Many thanks for your very quick reply. That has saved me a lot of searching. I’ll take a look at ‘rosegarden’

Cheers