plugins

Hi,

I’ve installed ‘caps-plugins-0.3.0-osx’ as per ‘README.txt’, but clicking on the ‘inserts, sends, plugin’ box in the mixer strip doesn’t bring up the menu to select ‘new plugins’ after restarting Ardour.

OSX says installation was ‘succesful’ but I cannot find ‘caps 0.3.0’ or the location, ‘usr.local.lib.ladspa’, it is meant to be in.

So far, configuring Ardour for the Intel Mac running 10.4.6 has been relatively straight forward and definitely worth the effort,

thanks

These are compiled for the PowerPC macs, and won’t yet compile on Intel…

Josh

plugins explained, thanks Josh

they looked like an excellent set of plugins, too.

By the sounds of it, something for Intel is on its way. In the meantime … any suggestions?

richard

I checked with steve at plugin.org who maintains the swh plugin suite, and he says the issue is pretty complicated (dealing mostly with autoconf), and he is hoping to deal with it in the near future… until then??? I’m sure they will be working eventually.

-Josh

Thanks for your help, Josh and to those working on the plugins. I’ll keep a lookout for them. I’m at the set-up stage still, but they’ll be a welcome arrival.

• richard

I’m trying to build the plugins on my macbook so that I can get jamin to work
~bennyp

Hello everyone, I’m new to Ardour (I’m more familiar with ProTools actually) and I’m trying to make it work on my MacBook Pro. Everything’s fine so far, but I need to get the plugins working. Is there any news about Intel Mac binaries?
Thanks a lot - and, by the way, Ardour rocks!

Davide

Universal versions of the caps, TAP and CMT are ready for testing, the SWH plugin set is coming soon.

If some of you Intel Mac folks could try these, we would appreciate it:
http://ardour.org/files/releases/tap-plugins-0.7-3.dmg
http://ardour.org/files/releases/caps-plugins-0.3.0-2.dmg
http://ardour.org/files/releases/cmt-plugins-1.15-2.dmg

Thanks…

Thanks Jesse.

They seem to work fine on my MacBook with Ardour 0.99.3. Ardour2 can’t seem to find them though… any hints?

Looking forward to the swh’s!

best,

Josh

Yes, the last release of Ardour2 did not include the proper LADSPA_PATH in one of the startup scripts for the new location of the plugins. They are now in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/ to better follow the mac standards. To fix this in your copy of Ardour2, open a terminal (or view the Ardour2.app contents as a folder) and edit the Ardour2.app/Contents/Resources/bin/exporter file and add the following 2 lines after the ‘export ARDOUR_GLADE_PATH=…’ line (make sure the export is on the same line with the rest of the long bit):

export LADSPA_RDF_PATH=$TOP/share/ladspa/rdf:$HOME/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/rdf:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/rdf:/usr/local/share/ladspa/rdf:/usr/share/ladspa/rdf

export LADSPA_PATH=$TOP/lib/ladspa:$HOME/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA:/usr/local/lib/ladspa:/usr/lib/ladspa

The next release will have this fixed, of course.

jlc

-Josh

Universal versions of caps, TAP and CMT plugins are now up and running on my iMac Intel Core Duo.

Thanks to Jesse and all, for the effort and skill put in to make it happen.

. . . richard.

Thanks, looks like the plugins are working fine. I’ve got a newbie question (as I said, I’m more familiar with ProTools): why don’t plugins have any graphical aid to help understand how they’re working? I mean, I’m using the CAPS mono compressor, and I have no way but my ears to understand when the compressor is working and how much it is actually compressing, plus the dB scale for the threshold does not match the channel strip meter, so I can’t even make a comparison to place it at a suitable value.
Thanks again

Davide

… can take quite some time to build. As far as monitoring what the compressor is doing, I would suggest taking your sound, and putting a post-fader compressor on it. Create a new bus (and therefore a new mixer channel), and send the sound to it. You should then at least be able to see what the compressor is doing by comparing the two signals in the mixer’s meters.

Hope that helps,

Josh

Try the TAP Dynamics plugins (both mono and stereo versions). Also, the swh-plugins set contains SC4 (stereo) and SC4 mono (mono) compressors which have metering, but that plugin set hasn’t been succesfully ported yet.

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed that because I was looking for the word “compressor” in the plugin name. :slight_smile: Metering is fine, but the TAP plugin is not very flexible: I need to put 2 in line to get a decent compression for a bass track. I hope the Universal binary for SWH will come soon and that it has both metering and settable parameters including ratio and threshold.

Davide

All four plugin packages now have universal binary releases and are downloadable at:
http://ardour.org/requirements_osx

These should work out of the box (after installing the packages in each disk image) with the Ardour 0.99.3 release.

If you are testing the Ardour 2 beta, you’ll need to make a manual modification as described elsewhere in this thread.

The location of the actual installed plugins are now user visible at /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA.

Please let us know if there are any problems.

HELP ME!!!HELP ME!!!HELP ME!!!HELP ME!!!HELP ME!

i need some help im running ardour on a power mac g4 and osx 10.3.9 i got "jack"v 0.101.3, “X11”, and "ardour"v 0.99.3, all working fine but i need intructions on where to download the plugins and how to install them properly it all seems a bit complictaed. getting all the the other software to work was easy and ardour really looks to replace pro tools for me but i need some plugins!!! if anyone can email me with step by step intructions on how to solve this dilemma naighto@dodo.com.au or post a msg 4 me

naighto,

Just go to http://ardour.org/requirements_osx and download the 4 plugin packages there. Inside each DMG is a package installer you should run that will install them in the proper location. Then start ardour and you should be able to add new plugins to your tracks by right-click (or control-click) in the black box areas above or below the fader in a mixer strip.

jlc

Hello All,

I am running Ardour2 ver 2.02 on a MacBook Pro I installed all the universal plugin dmgs but i cannot seem to access them. I have X11 in place and am running JackOSX; Ardour starts fine. I added a new track and opened the mixer and ctrl clicking the blank area set aside for plugins does nothing except highlight the outline of the track in red (which is the same behavior that occurs when I simply click the same area.

This is an empty track I just wanted to look thru all the available plugins. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

-E