Leaving Ardour/Linux

It is a sad day, but I have officially given up and decided to go back to windows.

I have a line6 POD X3 and their POD Farm plugin is too useful for me to pass up. I may eventually get a Mac to run POD Farm in Ardour, but for right now, I’ve gone back to my older version of Cakewalk Sonar and I am already appreciating Audio and MIDI in the same app as well as some virtual instruments that I can’t get in Linux. I do miss a lot of jack features, though.

I know this is because certain companies won’t support linux and not because of Ardour or linux (mostly - as I have started to have xrun issues with my interface after successfully using it for months)

I’m actually making the transition the other way around, from windoze/cubase to linux/ardour, but in a smooth fashion. I’ve installed a linux system in the cutting room, getting people used to using it, and when the recording setup does another hard crash (which it wll, thanks MS) I’ll make a complete transition.

mmm differnet rooms that’s only what I can dream off, the linux part I mean of course :wink:

You can post your studio (only linux part :wink: ) here:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=18

No dual boot here, dual rooms. Actually triple, but the mastering room is only coming along slooooowly, mainly due to acoustical aspects.
I do have a windows partition on my graphics workstation, as well as in the cutting room, but thats only for session import. Internally, we do session sharing through flat-files on the server.

Cool, yeah two systems or an dualboot is a good start most of the time.

Check also www.linuxmusicians.com and www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com for support

Just for the record, you did try running it in a recent version of WINE, right?

I guess sometimes you have to be pragmatic about the situation; if the software you want to run doesn’t work in the OS of your choice you might have to get in league with the netherworlds… :wink:

i have been using logic on osx lately for a lot of things, but i will never ‘leave’ ardour on linux. i am always monitoring the mailing lists etc and as soon as it gets certain features that i need then i will jump back on it happily.

for those that are interested, the things i miss when using ardour are:

midi (looking forward to seeing how well ardour 3 does this)
virtual instruments (i don’t want to have to load external programs to get my project up)
plugin version (ladspa or lv2) of a convolution reverb (same reason as above)
easy way to view and adjust send volumes etc on the main mixer interface (pet hate having to open up an extra window to adjust one fader)
graphical multiband parametric eq (it’s just nice ok, i know purists say it isn’t necessary and i agree, but it is still nice)
the ability to loop and repeat regions with one master copy (change a note in one, they all update. not sure if ardour3 will do this)
screensets (pressing one button to change window layouts is handy)
jamin as a plugin (i love being able to ‘master’ the track and keep it all together - not loading external programs. an alternative is jamin being able to load audio files direct)

i know some of these aren’t ardour issues, but this is what is keeping me still using logic on osx rather than my preferred platform. i am still however subscribing to donate to the ardour project (and strongly believe everyone here should) because i have the utmost confidence that it is the best platform in the long run.

porl

Hi Porl,

I don’ like nor want to be injurious or brutal, but don’t you think that what you “need” is for Linux to be Windows ?

If it is not, YOU can have what you need, with a little PATIENCE and digging in the applis. Let me tell you, you’re not the only one, that have to remember the first times you were using windows to make music… Was it REALLY plug and play my friend ??

To be more precise, some comments on your post :

midi (looking forward to seeing how well ardour 3 does this)
Why not trying to build Ardour 3 to be sure ?

virtual instruments (i don’t want to have to load external programs to get my project up)
Why don’t you want this, when you run Reason and Logic, isn’t it the same ?

plugin version (ladspa or lv2) of a convolution reverb (same reason as above)
I’m not sure, but think that can be done, google can be your friend…

easy way to view and adjust send volumes etc on the main mixer interface (pet hate having to open up an extra window to adjust one fader)
I’m not sure cause don’t use any, but external hardware can surely do that

graphical multiband parametric eq (it’s just nice ok, i know purists say it isn’t necessary and i agree, but it is still nice)
You have a nice one in Jamin, with no equivalent elsewhere…

the ability to loop and repeat regions with one master copy (change a note in one, they all update. not sure if ardour3 will do this)
Same as first comment

screensets (pressing one button to change window layouts is handy)
This works… don’t remember yet if the shortcut already exists, but you can create it in the shorcuts panel if not…

jamin as a plugin (i love being able to ‘master’ the track and keep it all together - not loading external programs.
Well, you can put Jamin on insert in the master track, what’s the difference to load or not ext prog, I don’t know !

an alternative is jamin being able to load audio files direct)
I’m afraid Jamin is not build to do that, but I can be wrong !

To end this, why do you give such a priority to the method to do things, and not to the result you like to have and can have ??

Patience !

Freely,

Fred.

Don’t ask what Ardour can do for you, ask what you can do for Ardour :wink:

\r

a convolution reverb can be done with jconv? And Freeverb3 (we need an gui for that on GNU/Linux)
Taks a look at guitarix, the dev is also working for some kind of gui for Jconv.

if your workflow is inherited from a certain OS, it can be difficult to cope with another OS’s philosophy that drives your workflow in a completely new direction. I tend to agree with stratojaune, focus on the result given the tools you use at the moment.

Just so that you know, I am toying more and more with the idea of transforming jamin into a suite of plugins. As it is now, jamin is all-in-one app that does wonder for mastering, but one can certainly divide it into different standalone modules that will be LV2 or dssi compliant. I was thinking about the graphical multiband EQ in particular, as we already have compressors, warmth boost and fast lookahead limiter in the ladspa suite.

@ Thorgal, maybe you should discuss that idea on the LAD mailinglist? Then it don’t freeze as an idea :wink:

thorgal, thats a rather amusing idea, given that the basic conception of jamin was to take a set of plugins and wrap them up as an easy to use single application. the core of jamin was (it might still be) several of swh’s plugins with a dedicated GUI for each.

hehe, really ? then it’s just a matter of finishing the work :wink:

but not the multiband compressor. I’ve “mastered” vocal tracks to get that compressor.

I’ll still keep watching, and trying to get POD Farm to work in wine, but their are just other issues that are keeping me in windows for now.

did you see : http://www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/ ?