Memory full and Ardour crash

No replies
areklfg
areklfg's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Hello everyone

I am a happy user of Ardour from quite sometime but there is one very annoing problem. I use 64Studio Amd64 on my desktop and i386 on my notebook.
Here is the problem.
My notebook is IBM X31, 1,5GB ram, Pentium M 1.6GHz. Ardour's sessions are on external HDD WD 160GB sata, connected through FireWire. For example: i have session with 10 mono tracks (see screenshot http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/8/1331909/ardour.png , i split them to align them to metronome. Files are copied to session folder in file manager, not in Ardour ( see session folder http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/8/1331909/sesja.png, Oh ! and why after importing files to session in Ardour when "copy to session" is checked files are doubled size of original ?
So, after a few, 6 or 8 cuts and saves system memory fills to full and Ardour craches. Here is screenshot of memory usage http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/8/1331909/memory.png . The same situation is on my desktop with Athlon 3.2GHz and 1GB ram. Oh, and the same is with only on track, after a few splits and saves. The more splits i made the longer session opens. And why system does not use swap ? If i put in 4GB ram will memory runsout too :-)
That is the question.
Can you help ?

additional info about system:
64Studio 2.1 i386
linux 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486
jack 0.103.0-6
Ardour 2.4.1 (build from 3243) distribution default

If you need some more info give me feedback please.

Kind regards
Arek

P.S. Sorry for poor english.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 13 min ago. Offline
Ardour 2.4.1 can be considered "ancient" at this point, and several major bug fixes concerning memory use have been a part of the 4 "major" releases since then (we are now at 2.8). Unless you can reproduce the problems with 2.8, we really have to consider this fixed already.

areklfg
areklfg's picture
Hello Paul

For now I have checked Ardour 2.7.1 from 64Studio 3.0 beta3 and situation is the same. I will post this topic on 64Studio forum maybe its somehow related with this distribiution but i doubt. Do you now why files are doublesized after importing to Ardour with copy to session ? Session is growing so much.

Kind regards
arek

areklfg
areklfg's picture
Hi Paul
Now i have installed Ardour 2.8 inside 64Studio 3.0 beta3.
The system finally uses swap :-) and i thing overall Ardour stability is much better. It seems that lots of regions, lots of splits are no good for Ardour ;-) , maybe for my system only ;-) . Anyway, i use hint of Pablo from 64Studio forum and its great. He sugested to mark splited regions and use "consolidate region". This is it ! After consolidating regions Ardour reborn :-) I wish i new that earlier :-)

p.s. new menu for plugins is great !

Pablo Fernández
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Arek!

you consolidate ranges (in the selected tracks), not regions. Beforehand you can set a range selection from selected regions, which is useful.
Cheers! Pablo.