AV Linux 2.0 Released!

42 replies [Last post]
thorgal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
what apps ? mmmm, gnome_wav_cleaner for example, or oss version of skype. Since oss2jack ports are permanent (as long as the jackd server is running), you can think of some cool thing to do ;)
the firefox flashplugin would work out of the box as well, no libflashsupport needed, no weird pulse configuration.

Well, you see, not production apps, just odd stuff that still communicates via OSS ioctl's
The only thing is: you would need to disable ALSA OSS emulation.

Again, this is not critical at all and newer kernels will use a new device proxy infrastructure called CUSE (replacement of FUSE). So, if you don't care, that's fine with me too :)

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 41 min ago. Offline
Thorg - Can I call you Thorg?

It's not that I don't care, but a question of priorities, I'm thinkin' my time would be better spent right now getting hip to the JConv Reverb, I must have been living under a bridge to have missed that one...Hopefully I can package it, Do you know of any existing Debian packages?

thorgal
GMaq,

There is a package but for amd64 only ...

http://packages.debian.org/sid/jack-jconv

PS: thorg ? why not ? ;)

eeeskildsen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi GMaq,

I'm new to linux but... I'm really beginning to like it A LOT... ;-)

I have bought a MSI wind to turn it into a Linux based live looper.

I'm currently running Ubuntu Studio 9.04 because of the easiness in making it work on the MSI wind. But I'm not completely convinced with Ubuntu.

So my question for you is short and simple.

Will AV Linux 2 work and run "out of the box" on my MSI wind?

Thanks,
Erik
www.23-07-2007.com

DavePhillips
User offline. Last seen 1 week 20 hours ago. Offline
Hey G,

"...getting hip to the JConv Reverb, I must have been living under a bridge to have missed that one..."

Well, I think we'll have to revoke your Linux license for that lapse. Sorry, man, the quality control department insists. :)

Best,

dp

GMaq
GMaq's picture
@eeeskildsen,

I don't know if it'll fully support your MSI or not, Running the LiveDVD should give you a good idea.

@Dave Phillips

I knew I shouldn't have bought that fake Linux license! You've found me out!

alex stone
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
You haven't lived, if you haven't "Jconved.'

Alex.

eeeskildsen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
GMaq,

Currently downloading your livecd.

I hope it will boot from usb, that is if I can make it bootable through unetbootin. ;)

I have installed debian lenny on my msi today and it works, nearly "out of the box". I would assume that AV Linux will too.

I will be installing PD and SC3 on it if it works, any issues? Have you tried it out?

Thanks,
Erik
BTW: is there a AV Linux orientated forum out there?

GMaq
GMaq's picture
eeeskildsen,

Thanks for your interest in AV Linux, The current version comes with Kernel 2.6.26 with -rt kernels (2.6.29) that you can install optionally. The next updated ISO due out this week will run a base 2.6.29 Kernel which will probably have a better chance of success for OOTB support for your MSI,

I don't have a forum (yet), I am a one man show for the time being so just keeping up with the development is more time than I have already, if the next ISO is as successful as the previous ones have been I will likely have to set up a forum. Anyway I will post an update at the Ardour forums when the new ISO is out, I've already got Ardour 2.8.1 up and running but there are a bunch of updated linuxDSP and LV2 plugins I'd like to include, my hope is to wrap it up this weekend.

thorgal
Glenn,

Just wondering if you included the LV2 version of the Invada Studio plugins. They are worth a "look" and a "listen" :)

GMaq
GMaq's picture
thorgal,

Yes I did, they seem pretty cool so far... also included Zynjacku/Lv2Rack and the LV2 port of ZynAddSubFX and the LV2 version of Fons Adriansens FIL 4-band parametric. I think I'll throw Steve Harris' LV2 bunch in as well and of course I have the latest Calf and linuxDSP plugs set up to go as well. I am considering Puredata and Supercollider because I've received several e-mails about them this week but I am unfamiliar with them myself

Jconv ain't gonna happen...I installed it according to the tarball instructions and it can't find it's own support libs (and yes they are installed) and I'm no newb at building software...plus writing a conf script and finding impulses all seems like a lot of time spent screwing around instead of making music. I can't even imagine trying to explain to a new Linux user how to roll with Jconv. I'll wait for Aella to come out and see then. I'm trying to introduce Ardour and other stable, established Audio Apps to new users for how easy and intuitive it can be and Jconv doesn't really fit, even though it is obviously well liked by advanced Linux users.

peder
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
I agree.
I had no problem compiling and running jconv in AV-2r1, but it requires knowledge in how to write the proper conf file, so I guess it's not excactly for the newbie.
And the seasoned users should be able to compile and use it on their own.