3 issues with Ardour

Hi, guys.

I just got Ardour a couple days ago and have been very impressed with it. It has worked great and I haven’t had any problems until today. I was wondering if I could get some advice on fixing them. I am using Ubuntu Jaunty.

1. I can no longer move files around in the track. It was working fine until today, but now I click and drag the file to move it forward or back and it shows the timecode next to my cursor but the file doesn’t move. Also, when I add a file into a track, it puts it in some random place, often after the end of the song. Then since I can’t move it, it’s a pain. I have been using Align to get around the problem today but having to do that is annoying. Any ideas? Maybe I accidentally hit some sort of setting or something. I was looking around to see if I accidentally locked all the tracks in place or something but I couldn’t find anything indicating if that was the case.

2. Export takes a REALLY long time during which it is completely frozen and appearing to be doing nothing. Eventually, it completes, and the resulting wav file is in the Export folder, but I can’t get any programs to play it. It may be corrupted? Obviously exporting is one of the most important things… How can I get it to work?

3. Undo is weird. When I go to undo, the action that I just did is often not the one that is shown to undo. For instance, I move a file, and want to undo it, but next to the undo, it says “split.” I did that like yesterday, why are things that I’m doing now not being added to the undo?

Thanks for any help on any of these issues.

Well I am sure I have, I’ve been struggling with this issue for a while now and have done a lot of testing, on some kernels I have to apply the RT patch to make the exporting work, and in other kernels I have to avoid the RT patch to make it work, otherwise it just hangs.

I already posted this issue in mantis.

2. Export takes a REALLY long time during which it is completely frozen and appearing to be doing nothing. Eventually, it completes, and the resulting wav file is in the Export folder, but I can't get any programs to play it. It may be corrupted? Obviously exporting is one of the most important things... How can I get it to work?

I myself have been having a lot of issues with this one also and some other users look here http://ardour.org/node/2748 and here http://ardour.org/node/2680 , Have tried with many kernels. Some RT and some non RT and some do this and some don’t, not sure what triggers this strange behaviour.

you might want to post these in the Issue Tracker.

1. I can no longer move files around in the track.

Make sure edit type is “SLIDE EDIT”. You can check it at the left upper portion.Try again.

Thanks, manmachine, that was the problem. The undo thing doesn’t seem to be happening any more, either. Maybe that was a one time weirdness.

Therefore, the only issue left is that export problem. It is now exporting and has been for the last 20 minutes or so, so i don’t think it’s going to complete. Maybe I just have to play the track and record it with ReZound or something to get it mixed down. I imagine that would be lossless right?

are you sure you’ve marked the checkboxes (one for the right channel and one for the left) on the master output in the export dialog?

Hmm this is sounding more and more like a particular issue in your kernel config, not something Ardour can control as much. This config option is likely not in the RT patch from what I am hearing, but what the particular option is I don’t know. It might likely be something that for a well patched rt kernel you are supposed to set, but not everyone does, such as the timer frequency.

Seablade

Well, I am lost, I have been fooling around with all type of kernel configs, changing the frequency clock to 1000Hz, disabling tickless timer, and all kind of setups for RT, etc. Still sometimes that happens in a well configured kernel and others not, depending on the kernel version, but the strangest of all is that if I have that issue with a RT kernel, then I compile it as a standard kernel and all works fine, or sometimes it’s just all the way around.

I’ll be testing some more to figure out what’s going on, I just wish I knew a little about kernel hacking to figure out what exactly is what causes this behaviour.