Break a single session up into multiple sessions?

I was doing a session with a band and we were under extreme time pressure, so to save some time (I’m not very quick with Ardour yet, so putting together a new session is not the trivial exercise for me that it is in other DAWs) I recorded every take of every song into the same session.

Now I would like to build independent mixes of the better takes but I’m not sure how to break the existing session up into multiple sessions. Is there an easy way to do it in Ardour?

If not, will I have to duplicate the session and remove the regions which aren’t relevant? And if so, is there a way to easily and safely get rid of all the old audio files? The session is about 3gb, so it’ll take ages to do.

I think it would be wiser to do it the other way round: First create a snapshot for every part and then load and edit the snapshots. You wouldn’t have to touch the main session and undo your edits afterwards.

Just to be sure… :wink:

edit to get just the first song, then use Session -> Snapshot, then undo and re-edit to get the second etc.

later, load the specific snapshots and work on each one independently of the others. they are independent in every way except sharing the same audio files.