ladspa plugins lookalike

Are there Ladspa plugins which look like enigma vst.

Ladspa plugin look graphic all the same to me no round turn buds.

greetings
Anton

@seablade: You’re right, if you are using a pre-compiled binary then whoever compiled it needs to have built it with the LV2 option enabled and obviously the appropriate libraries. Just to clarify - what I meant by LV2 not being enabled by default was that (unless I’m mistaken) the last (recent) version of the ardour source that I downloaded had the LV2 flag disabled as the default option, so if you just build it straight from source you don’t get LV2 support. I think I had to enable it, install the libraries and re-compile it. Perhaps this is now different in recent versions.

No it is a question for whoever compiled the version of Ardour you are using. Enabling LV2 requires having a couple other development libs and enabling one flag with the compilation. Ardour provides all the utilities for this, but if the person compiling Ardour does not enable it there is nothing we can do.

And linuxdsp is correct, LADSPA, as I wrote above, you do not have any control over any aspect of the GUI. Everything regarding the GUI is provided by the host. Also as I mentioned this was one of the primary things that people were looking forward to in LV2.

Seablade

Is it possible to redesign the interface from a working ladspa plugins.

If you have the libraries available, by default Ardour will compile with LV2 support IIRC. But if you do not have the libraries available, or obviously if you have previously disabled the flag on that source tree, then it will not compile with it.

Seablade

antonvdh, please remember that we’re dealing with sound here.
No matter how cool or dull a plugin looks it’s ultimately how it sounds that’s important.

And while “ugly”, most of the LADSPA plugings sound pretty good.

Yes I now we’re dealing with sound but when I have a few ladspa plugins activated it is difficult to recognise them apart.
And it can be an extra service.
Thanks for the link that is looking good I will try them .

Its also about ‘usability’ - some people (myself included) find it difficult to pinpoint a particular control in a ‘generic’ LADSPA GUI filled with many identical sliders whereas it can be more intuitive to locate a control on a GUI that resembles some real hardware. Equally, some people find operating rotary controls with a mouse to be counter-intuitive. It really comes down to what works best for you, and I would be the first to agree that some of the LADSPA plugins sound just fine. I guess I’m just trying to point out that ‘realistic’ GUIs have their uses other than ‘just looking pretty’

The LADSPA plugin standard does not really allow the plugin developer any control over the GUI layout - you can only specify the controls you want and the host draws them. So how it looks and where the controls end up are entirely host dependent. This seems also to be true of basic LV2 plugins. LV2 supports extensions which ‘in theory’ allow the addition of GUIs and any other functionalitly you can think of to the plugin. The problem is that the host needs to know this functionality exists in advance - otherwise it won’t be supported in the plugin. The main problem with providing GUIs in plugins is that a host normally uses a graphical ‘toolkit’ to interface to the X server to draw its widgets. For example GTK+ , Qt etc. The reliability problems I have found come from not being able to run a GTK plugin in a Qt host and vice versa - and are really related to multithreaded
access to the X server, its a bit complicated to go into here. In the windows environment you only have one GUI interface - the windows one provide by the windows kernel, so you can be pretty certain how you’re plugin needs to work. In linux it’s not so simple since you don’t know which toolkit your host will be using. The only solutions seem to me to be either to run the GUI as a separate process - with some sort of IPC to the plugin code or to run the entire plugin as a separate process which is what is happening with JACK.

Are there Ladspa plugins which look like enigma vst or a more graphical look.

Have a look at the invada LV2 plugins. I thought they were pretty cool.

http://www.invadarecords.com/Downloads.php?ID=00000264

Ardour must be built with LV2 support to see the graphical interfaces.

Yes very cool.
Are there also this kind of gui plugins for ladspa ?
Or is that not possible with ladspa?

LADSPA does not have a GUI capability, as a result you cannot have a GUI with the plugins themselves. This is one of the things people were most looking for with LV2 plugins.

That being said, the plugin host provides the GUI so what you see is what is provided by Ardour.

Seablade

@antonvdh

If you want some plugins with GUIs you can try these:

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk

I wrote them as JACK applications so you will have to patch them into ardour as ‘inserts’ - I haven’t found a reliable method of getting LV2 plugins to work consistently on all hosts (regardless of GUI ‘toolkit’ e.g. Qt GTK2+, Xlib, Juce etc etc). If you have any problems installing them (there are full instructions included) please contact me using the contact details on my website. There are lots of helpful people who could assist on this forum but I am very concious of trying not to hijack this forum with issues that are essentially to do with support for my software. But I thought it might be useful to post a link so you can try them out.

And only changing the color from a ladspa plugin is that possible

As far as I know it’s not possible to have much control over any aspect of the LADSPA GUI. LV2 is better in this respect. A LADSPA plugin simply tells the host what controls it needs and then reads buffers of values provided by the host that represent the control values. It then uses these values to control its audio processing. The host is entirely responsible for drawing the controls. It may also help to think slightly differently about the way you use different types of plugins. For example, I find that LADSPA plugins are great for adding simple extensions to a DAW such as a 3 band channel EQ that doesn’t need a lot of fancy controls - a bit like the basic EQ you might get on a mixing console. Then if you need something a bit more special, in a real studio you might patch in some outboard gear, - say a vintage compressor or EQ etc. The equivalent of this is to patch in a JACK based plugin with some nice GUI controls etc.

Ok but LV2 is also not working out of the box
Have to compile that first.

I don’t know why LV2 is not enabled by default - that’s probably a question for paul or the other ardour devs.

I built ardour from source a while ago so it wouldn’t surprise me if I had remembered incorrectly, I thought I had needed to enable LV2 support but what must have happened was that I had forgotten to install the libraries so it built without LV2 support. Then when I found LV2 support was not compiled in I enabled it and then probably discovered I hadn’t installed the libraries when I got compiler errors.

My two bits:

I’d like an easy way of getting my control surface’s sliders and rotaries onto controls; perhaps I’m missing something, but a ‘control mapper’ function (with recall) would be nice when doing final EQ mixing, for instance. My surface is a Tascam US428, which does MMC. Haven’t found docs on control mappings, though, that make it easy to switch between tracks and have the controls follow the currently selected plugin (or EQ for that track, or whatnot). I’d rather that than a slick GUI myself, because I find it easier to rotate a knob or slide a fader while listening intently to the result than doing the same thing with a GUI (for one, I tend to close my eyes (so I can better concentrate on the sound) while doing mixing, and that’s difficult to do with a GUI).

Maybe a ‘select this track’s plugin mappings’ button or some such (with that select button being mappable; the US428 has a bank of eight of those above the fader bank, and up to four banks of eight faders using the bank buttons) that could do such.

Or I guess I could look at hacking us428control to have selectable banking and pass MMC sysex’s up to the MIDI layer, assuming that’s not already done…at least Tascam has some docs on that…time to dust off my C and C++ books and look at getting my hands dirty developing that sort of thing… Just thought I’d throw that out here just in case this is already available and I just don’t know about it.