Ardour on Ubuntu: Retro Rock Recording

11 replies [Last post]
El-Ahrairah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hey guys!

I am well aware that probably noone is going to reply (just like on gearslutz :-)), so I save my time and write a short text:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~jrichner/crazy.mp3

Greets, El

roaldz
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Wrong! I am reply´ing! I think it sounds good! Like the style:) Like the sound.

How dit you record? What mic´s/pre´s/hardware?

Scary-Hallo
Scary-Hallo's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hey, I like it too. Good Rock and Roll
I have the question than roaldz.
Do you have more of this?

El-Ahrairah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hey guys, thanks for taking time to listen and comment! Greatly appreciated.

@roaldz: Glad you liked the tune! Equipment: Edirol FA-101 firewire soundcard with ffado driver to record everything, guitar is done with a Tonelab SE, vocals with an SM57. Drums are a vst plugind loaded with the dssi-vst wrapper in wine and controlled by rosegarden. Ubuntu Karmic 64 bit (a pity that seq24 and muse packages are bugged on this distro!)

@scary-hallo: At the moment, no, but I'll upload more as soon as it's in the box! also glad you've liked it. :-)

stuartallen1972
stuartallen1972's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Nice work! It is very easy to picture you guys playing this live, it's got a great "real" feel to it. Hearing that the drums are sequenced with a VST plug-in just makes me jealous, I can never make drums tracks sound that good. :)

Stuart

DavePhillips
User offline. Last seen 5 days 8 hours ago. Offline
This ain't gearslutz. ;)

Really nice instrumental mix. Vocals could use a little more push to the front of the mix, but overall it's like Stuart said, it's easy to imagine a live performance of the piece.

So post more. :)

dp

zettberlin
zettberlin's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 9 hours ago. Offline
Cool track, cool enough to find a way on one of my car-CD-player compilations.
Why?

because its different. At first glance it is a simple retro-rocksong but then it has a lot genuine punk-feel and a kind of sarcastic anarchy I like a lot. Only the guitar-lick in the end is a bit off - I think it should be more exact or more chaotic/nasty to add to the overall coolness of the track.

The sound I like a lot: very direct, lively, individual. Fits the song perfectly.

arthursucks
arthursucks's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
This is a really hot track. Thanks for sharing!

ta1kradio
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
GREAT song! Love it...

losfurcis
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Im jealus like stuart, but for all of the song/mix ;) , very good sound! and is good to see what kind of sound you can achieve from a pedalboard. is all the sound from the tonelab, or have you used aditional software amps?
thanks for the song!

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 27 min ago. Offline
Hi,

Swampy, Spooky ....SWEET!

I love the very natural tube overdrive sound over the whole mix, I can imagine an old Neve console with all the meters in the red when I listen with my eyes closed. the near-disco "Dance" breakdown 3/4 of the way through totally took me by surprise! Very good work!!

PureO Neuro
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
I swung by the forums after hearing about this program on the Ubuntu Forums. I'm now so grateful that I did. I wanted to hear what this program was capable of and grabbed your mp3. This song is heavy rotation on my mp3 player and Songbird playlists.

I could just see this being done live as I listened, and more importantly, I could see myself paying to watch this played live. I'm really not sure how to share how taken I am with this piece. I have horrible social phobias which are compounded exponentially by large crowds- but I would go to a packed bar on a Friday night to listen to this. I also believe if I brought a date I'd have a better chance of the night's outcome being better since obvious proof of great musical taste.

Thanks for hypothetically getting me laid. Is there a band name/performer name I can add to this for songbird?