Ardour fails to start with previously working session

10 replies [Last post]
in0giro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
ahoy all,

using Ardour 2.8.4 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 (1st generation MacBook) to convert some old Logic 7 Express projects into Ardour for additional work on GNU/Linux. Ardour fails to start (getting stuck at "Setup signal flow and plugins") with session file that worked a few hours before.

the project is pretty simple, just exporting audio regions from Logic and importing them into Ardour, a few plugins. i saved the session, closed Ardour to stop working, and left JACK OS X running. when i returned (after the computer had been asleep a few times) and tried to open the session, Ardour would start, show the splash window, flash the various start up messages on the splash window, connect to JACK (i can see the routings in the JackPilot Connection Manager), but freeze when "Setup signal flow and plugins" comes up on the splash window. the CPUs spike and just run until the process is killed. i left it running a few minutes, but no luck. no error message, etc, either.

tried rebooting, freeing up space, latest JACK OS X, etc. i figure the problem is somewhere in the session file, but i am unfamiliar with the XML the contents as of yet. can anyone point me in which parts to start editing first?

finally, this same session file opens on Ardour 2.8.2 when transferred to Ubuntu Studio 9.10.

thanks, w

seablade
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 52 min ago. Offline
The contents of the Console might be useful here.

Applications>Utilities>Console.app

Clear it out, then start Ardour and open your session. Copy and paste the contents to here or to pastebin and link to here.

Seablade

in0giro
thanks for the tip, i should have tried that, though not much of a Mac OS person.

OK, here is the output from Console.app when trying to start Ardour 2.8.4 with the session in question (note JACK is already running):

--- start of Console.app output

Ardour/GTK 2.8.4
(built using 6077 and GCC version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367))
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
loading default ui configuration file /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/ardour2_ui_default.conf
loading user ui configuration file /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/ardour2_ui.conf
Loading ui configuration file /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/ardour2_ui_dark.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Removed open file count limit. Excellent!
loading system configuration file /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/ardour_system.rc
loading user configuration file /Users/in0giro/.ardour2/ardour.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Apple VecLib H/W specific optimizations in use
ODD: variable IO config for aufx - JASb - ElCa
ODD: variable IO config for aufx - mrev - appl
ODD: variable IO config for aumf - CaCr - CamA
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Surfaces
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
system template path = /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/icons:/Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/pixmaps:/Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/share:/Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resourcestemplates

(Ardour2.bin:720): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to find default local directory monitor type

(Ardour2.bin:720): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to find default local directory monitor type

(Ardour2.bin:720): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GDEF table 0x6ead

(Ardour2.bin:720): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 0x6ead

(Ardour2.bin:720): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6ead
loading bindings from /Users/in0giro/.ardour2/ardour.bindings
Session writable based on /Users/in0giro/Music/in-giro/suburbia anthem/suburbia anthem 2009.004/

--- end of Console.app output

here is just starts eating CPU cycles. once i "Force Quit" Ardour after a while of nothing happening, this shows up:

--- start of Console.app output

JackEngine::XRun: client = ardour was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync Process error

--- end of Console.app output

i assume that this last bit is just JACK burping when Ardour is killed.

i also tried running from the Terminal, but could not get Ardour to start (assuming the Ardour.app sets up some path stuff that directly running the executable does not):

--- start of Terminal output

Lisa-Mac:~ in0giro$ /Applications/Ardour.app/Contents/MacOS/Ardour2.bin
Ardour/GTK 2.8.4
(built using 6077 and GCC version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367))
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.

(Ardour2.bin:743): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/Users/paul/gtk/inst/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running:
pango-querymodules > '/Users/paul/gtk/inst/etc/pango/pango.modules'

(Ardour2.bin:743): Pango-WARNING **: failed to find shape engine, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderATSUI', script='latin'

(Ardour2.bin:743): Pango-WARNING **: failed to find shape engine, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderATSUI', script='common'
loading user ui configuration file /Users/in0giro/.ardour2/ardour2_ui.conf
ardour: [WARNING]: Unable to find UI style file . Ardour will look strange
ardour: [INFO]: Removed open file count limit. Excellent!
loading user configuration file /Users/in0giro/.ardour2/ardour.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Apple VecLib H/W specific optimizations in use
ODD: variable IO config for aufx - JASb - ElCa
ODD: variable IO config for aufx - mrev - appl
ODD: variable IO config for aumf - CaCr - CamA
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /Users/in0giro/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/local/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
ardour: [FATAL]: cannot find icon image for fader_belt.png
Lisa-Mac:~ in0giro$

--- end of Terminal output

would appreciate any insights, as besides the few warnings in the Console.app output, nothing seems way off to my untrained eyes.

thanks.

seablade
I don't have anything off hand, might be something in particular about that session. I do think a couple of things were changed in what was possible in a sesison between 2.8.2 and 2.8.4 IIRC, but can't remember much of anything right now to be certain sorry.

Seablade

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Sounds to me like the session isn't even opened at the point where Ardour crashes. Try reinstalling Ardour and see if that helps. Alternately, try deleting the .ardour2 directory in your home directory and try again.

in0giro
ahoy Seablade,

no worries, thanks for your help already. just wanted to clear one thing up, in case i was not clear: the project was always a 2.8.4 session, not imported from 2.8.2. the 2.8.4 install on Mac OS 10.4.11 created the session, worked for a few days, then stopped opening it. while a 2.8.2 install on a GNU+Linux does open the session no problem. seems like something flaked out with the 2.8.4 Mac OS 10.4.11 install, though it works with other session files.

thanks.

in0giro
ahoy macinnisrr,

thanks for your suggestions. unfortunately, trying both yielded the exact same results. the install works fine with other sessions, just this one.

do you have any suggestions on which parts of the Ardour session XML file i should start commenting out to find the part causing the hang? perhaps plugins?

thanks again.

seablade
@Macinnissr: No Ardour is definitely trying to load a session.

Ok had slightly more sleep now after a hell of a long day yesterday, let me see if I can give you better info.

1. It doesn't look like a plugin issue, but you haven't installed any plugins or demos on your OS X machine have you?
2. Have you tried opening the .bak session in your session folder?(Make backup copies as needed of course).

Ok those aside the next step would be to look at the session file itself. In your case I would look for duplicate send or port names, or names of sends, tracks, ports, etc. that might have non-english characters(OS X version of Ardour I don't think handles internationalization as well). Obviously make a backup of your session file before you change anything, but start there and see if anything obvious exists.

If not, you can start commenting out various portions of the session file one by one. You can start commenting out tracks, sends, regions, redirects, etc. until it starts working, and then start commenting out specific parts to find exactly what is causing the issue. A lot of work, but if you need the session, probably the best way to get back at it.

Seablade

in0giro
ahoy SeaBlade,

thanks for the additional help.

1. the only plug-ins installed besides the ones that come with Ardour are CamelCrusher and the plug-ins that come with JACK OS X. i tried removing those and no difference.

2. i have tried the bak file, but get the following "Loading Error" dialog box message on trying to load it:

"Session "/Users/in0giro/Music/in-giro/suburbia anthem/suburbia anthem 2009.004 (snapshot suburbia anthem 2009.004.ardour)" did not load successfully

Click the Close button to try again."

upon clicking close, Ardour opens an empty+new session with the same name as the backup, saved in my home directory.

a quick look did not show anything obvious in the session file. the only thing i noticed was that some port number lists started counting at 0, some at 1, another at 2, within a PortAutomation element.

i will take a more in depth look at the session file and report back.

peace

annie12 (not verified)

Insightful piece, thanks a lot!

tipping bins

http://www.vitalquip.com.au

a5kin
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I just had same problem after Ardour crash. Project refused to load with "Session ... did not load successfully" message.

Only thing that helped, was manual editing of the project's XML.
I've just removed several (to say 4/20) <Crossfade> tags and project was able to load after all.