ARDOUR Accessibility Question

4 replies [Last post]
eagletree
User offline. Last seen 4 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I have been trying to locate a multi-track recorder that will run on Open Source operating systems (FreeBSD or Linux variants), that would be accessible to those without sight. I noted that ARDOUR appears to be fully controllable by keyboard shortcuts so that's a plus. Would anyone be able to assess whether it's workable with a screen reader? It's quite the challenge to find a recording package that will work for the blind without paying over a $1000 just for the software. Has anyone set up a workstation for someone without sight? Thanks in advance.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 55 min ago. Offline
A LONG time ago there was a Keyboard only interface specifically for this purpose IIRC. It has not been maintained in quite some time though so it would need quite a lot of work is my though. Of course this is all going off memory, Paul would likely have to tell you the full story.

Seablade

eagletree
User offline. Last seen 4 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the reply. The keyboard shortcuts in the FAQ post from August 09 looks like basic keyboard input via x-windows would be usable. While a non-windowed version would be perfect, hooks to let a screen reader capture announcements would make it usable even running in an x environment. If some existing code is still in the source, that could provide a template to bring it up to speed I'd think, but in lieu of that, trying a windowed version seems the next step. I've not tried it yet, but perhaps I can try the OS-X version (I don't have a FreeBSD box configured at the moment with sound) and see how it plays with the Apple screen reader. Would that provide a representation that would carry over to an X implementation?

rozea
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Ecasound is also used by visual impaired people on Linux.
Check this website:
http://ecasound.seul.org/ecasound/

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 55 min ago. Offline
Actually I would bet that the OS X version will not play at all with their screen readers. You really will have to find out from Paul what the state of things is, but at this point I am fairly certain at best it is not working, at worst may have been removed entirely.

Seablade