Multiple mixer windows

3 replies [Last post]
leadghost
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Just a thought...

I tend to set up my working environment (Openbox) w/ Ardour editor window open on desktop one, Ardour mixer on two, jack/envy24control on three, hydrogen on four, maybe patchage or something on five. I switch desktops w/ keybinds...works nice. My issue is that the mixer gets *very* crowded. How about an option to allow multiple mixer windows that are nameable, so you can split the mixer for mix channels and monitoring channels?

Ben

thorgal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
I think a tabbed mixer window would be nice to have, so you can regroup mixer strips under different tabs that you create and name the way you want. I implemented something like this in guitarix, for convenient access to external client ports where you can cycle through the tabs by pressing the 't' key.

I also think that the already existing mixer group functionality was meant for that. But maybe you want to have ALL your mixer strips visible at all times ?

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 58 min ago. Offline
we (well, actually, carl hetherington) has already done something a lot like this for ardour 3. its not actually tabbed in the conventional sense of a tabbed notebook-style widget, so you don't navigate from tab-to-tab. it becomes easy to hide/show groups, as well as route the entire group. for that matter, even in ardour 2, if you put tracks in to a mix group, you can hide/show them as a group.

leadghost
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the responses guys.

Gets me thinking that all three methods (tabs,group switching,multi-window ) all have their own merits and drawbacks. Personally I think the multi-window approach would fit a user like myself best as my work-flow is based on desktop switching (is this typical outside the *box type environments or tiling WM's?).

For me tabs generally means mouse-play which I try to avoid :)

I will definitely test out the group hide/show method.

Thanks again for your time and effort,

Ben