First Mixbus impressions
I just spent the morning playing with my new acquisition of Mixbus. And very nice it is too. I tried getting onto the IRC channel to ask some questions but Safari would only let me see the chat and not contribute to it. Maybe I need to install a proper client?? Anyway, I thought I'd post these observations here because they're probably relevant to Ardour generally:-
1) "Open Session->Browse" launches the familiar browse dialog but I cannot select any file or folder unless I physically move the dialog to a new position on my screen!! Thereafter, it's pretty unreliable generally. e.g. if I double-click to enter a particular folder I can't select anything inside that folder unless I go 'up one level' and then go back into my chosen folder??? I'll enter this on mantis if anyone else has seen it.
2) If I drag the playhead to a new position it doesn't invalidate the current session - i.e. it doesn't require me to save the session before closing. That's exactly what I'd expect. Moving the playhead to a new position doesn't (IMHO) intrinsically change the session data. However, if I drag the playhead after writing some fader automation on a track, that does invalidate the session which (personally) I find annoying because the session data still hasn't been materially changed.
3) Ardour won't launch unless I start the JackPilot app first. Maybe this is because I've only got a Mac Mini which apparently has no aggregate device? It's quite annoying though.
4) Mixbus seems to display my existing sessions 'upside down'. i.e. if a session previously had track 1 at the top and track 8 at the bottom, it now has track 8 at the top and track 1 at the bottom! Haven't quite figured that one out yet but it begs the question - can track ordering be physically changed?
1) When writing fader automation, is there any way to group faders - so that moving one fader will move any others that are in the same group?
2) I noticed that my canvas has re-acquired those vertical lines which I've always assumed to be beats & bars (because every fourth one is bolder than the others). In my pre-existing sessions I seem to have turned them off somehow but I can't remember how I did that? Is there a way to get rid of them?
Apart from those very minor niggles - brilliant work and congrats to everyone who contributed to it..!!