unexplained crashes and projects that won't open
I'm trying to finish up an album for a side project of mine, but frequent crashes and 'lost' projects (that require me to 'rebuild' a new project from original wave files to get a final mix) have been seriously hampering me in the final stages. I'm hoping someone out there can help me smooth out the process and get this finished up.
My problems center on two things:
1: projects that won't open (some of these are older projects stored on an external hard drive but not always -- the most recent is only a week old and has never left my computer)
2: frequent crashes during editing/mixing.
Are there any wise Ardour sages out there with suggestions to help me finish up this album? I bow down to your wisdom in advance.
1: projects won't open
Some projects will no longer open - Ardour tries to open, but then it closes either while only the Ardour logo is still on screen or once the project appears to be open, during the 'please wait while ardour..." message.
Some of these are older projects that have been tranferred to an external hard drive, some are projects that have never left my computer. The most recent one I recorded late last week and was editing earlier today.
I have 'rebuilt' some of these songs, creating a new project and importing wave files from the inaccessible projects' "interchange" files. This is a long, laborious process, as I'm sure some of you know - realigning tracks in time, re-editing and remixing. Some of these 'rebuilt' projects have eventually also failed to re-open after I've massaged them back into being.
I have limited the 'undo history' to 8 or 9 in several cases, but this seems to have little effect. I've wondered if limiting recordings to 24 or 16-bit might help in future projects, but all of these projects have been recorded in the default 32-bit. I'm not sure what else to try to avoid the problem.
Any thoughts on what causes this? Any thoughts on how to salvage these recordings, other than rebuilding them from the original wave files as I've been doing?
2 - frequent crashes while editing
I am also experiencing frequent crashes, most often while I am editing/mixing a song. Frequent culprits appear to be: zooming in and out, splitting regions, dragging regions, and switching between tools (the move tool and automation/gain control, are my standbys). Most of the time I just plow ahead - reopen the project and try to watch for trouble before it hits. I used to associate crashes with a climb in the DSP %, but that was mostly when effects were running. I still use effects in final mixes but have been avoiding them while splicing and editing. I'm experiencing the same problems with all effects removed (not just disabled) and the DSP is running well below 10% most times that a crash happens. I don't know what the 'c' and 'p' buffers are indicating, but in case it sheds any light --- the c: buffer is generally between 97% and 99%, the p: buffer generally reads in the high to mid-80s or high-70s.
I do use VST and AU plugins, as well as Ardour's 'native' effects, but the problems seem to return regardless of whether effects are being used on a project or not.
These crashes do not always produce a crash report, but sometimes they do and I'm happy to include some of these if they might help make sense of these problems. I have three from today and another from two days ago sitting on my desktop.
All of the songs have been recorded using Ardour over the last two years or so. I've used several versions of Ardour in that time (some songs were started in earlier versions of Ardour, with overdubs and mixing happening in more recent Ardour builds.) I'm currently running Ardour 2.8.2 . All have been recorded on the same laptop computer - a MacBook (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAMM, currently running OS10.4.11).