Multiband compressor

37 replies [Last post]
calimerox
calimerox's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 41 min ago. Offline
@ seablade yeah sure there are several reasons, and I m always curious to hear about them and i understand completely! My experience is, that mostly it is an industry standard thing and / or people are just used to another software (e.g. photoshop <-> gimp etc..) and already got a mac anyway.....

seablade
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 13 min ago. Offline
It comes primarily down to, for the most part they are already on a Mac, and being that theater is a collaborative art form, and that what I teach doesn't have a degree in itself, but is part of a larger degree, they need to be able to collaborate with others using software that just doesn't exist on Linux. Yes alternatives exist, but that doesn't help the collaboration aspect, nor do the alternatives compare very well and I certainly don't have time to submit patches to fix this, and I am not going to force a student to make their own life miserable and make choices that will make it harder for them to get jobs.

That being said, I have already had a few students come through that used Ardour on Linux for my classes, so it isn't out of the question, but I won't be making a computer lab out of it any time soon, sorry. For what I teach it just isn't a good choice for them.

Seablade

calimerox
calimerox's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 41 min ago. Offline
I think (but i dont really know) that there s also specific software for theater / performance sound design that runs on mac/win people use a lot and there s no alternative to it (you mentioned working in a theater environment..)

haha and the computer LAB appearance you have once you deal with linux distros is certainly still an issue :)

I had some interns being very interested in linux and i helped installing avlinux on their laptop and explained a lot, but it s true, once they re on their own again they run in problems very fast, and not everyone is up to read forums and try out, most want and need just a out of the box working system that runs "forever"

seablade
I think (but i dont really know) that there s also specific software for theater / performance sound design that runs on mac/win people use a lot and there s no alternative to it (you mentioned working in a theater environment..)

You would be correct. Every now and then an option pops up on Linux but usually ends up unfinished and unmaintained. As of right now QLab and SFX are the top of the software heap for this purpose, my personal preference being for QLab.

Seablade

mcgruff
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
"Is there something of a plugin for multiband compression, something like JAMin has built in?"

After my own bad experience with linuxdsp, I'd recommend you don't get the Linuxdsp multi-band compressor. There were a number of problems with the software and terrible communication with the developer who wasn't interested beyond telling me to RTFM (which didn't actually address any of the faults) and an upgrade policy which means you could end up having to fork out the full price every time there's an upgrade.

Not good.

seablade
Personally I have been perfectly happy with LinuxDSP stuff, and have quite enjoyed the MBC2 multiband compressor a lot myself. That isn't to say I don't plan on trying out the Calf compressor as well, but just giving other viewpoints.

Kinda pointless however considering this is a thread that was started 2+ years ago.

Seablade

mcgruff
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
Oops - didn't notice the original date.

I think some improvements might have been made in newer versions. Don't know - I baled earlier this year and haven't been back.