how to instal Jamin under OSX

55 replies [Last post]
edyasko
edyasko's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Seablade,

Thanks a million for working on this. I've been using the one you posted before (the native version) and even though the GUI is kinda sluggish, it still sounds great.

--Ed--

seablade
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 15 min ago. Offline
Your welcome. I am still going to try to get back to it sometime, but it probably won't happen till next month. I get REALLY busy this time of year.

Seablade

edyasko
edyasko's picture
Same here. Why is it that companies want all their biggest development projects done in August?? ;)

mikeck
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hey, I just got a mac :D There great compared to my old pc. I never would of actually bought one though because there so expencive luckly I won won at muulu.com :p

edyasko
edyasko's picture
Just a thought, guys....

On OSX, you have all of the Apple AU plugins. So I was thinking....

If I were to combine the AUMultibandCompressor, with the AUGraphicEqualizer, and add a limiter to that, all on the Master track, I would essentially be doing something close to what Jamin does? Seems like that is essentially what Jamin provides. Correct me if I'm wrong.

lowen
User offline. Last seen 42 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Sorry for the late post, but just got my OS X setup the way I want it with Ardour and Mixbus.

The one thing you miss above is the Boost section of JAMin, which acts and sounds a lot like the Harrison Mixbus tape saturation, with the Harrison tape sat being quite a bit smoother. So you'd want a valve amp emulator or tape saturation emulation plugin between the Multiband compressor and the Limiter. JAMin's signal flow is detailed at http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/routes.html and information about each section at http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/uibasics.html (the Boost section is 1.12).

iamdooser
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Working over the past few days, I finally got JAMin working on my PowerPC under 10.5. Ultimately: Fink is your friend.

I used both the JAMin site and Derek's post above as guides. I don't know if all those packages Derek listed are necessary, I just installed them all; I didn't mind. The first problem I encountered was with installing fftw3. Basically I resolved that by making sure that Fink was all up to date, and when installing packages note that some stable cvs/rsync sources are more up to date than available binaries. As of today, the fftw3 fink package builds with option --enable-float, so no worries there.

As Derek encountered on his friend's setup, using:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig

before configuring and building JAMin was necessary so that it could find Jack. Also note that I didn't want to have conflicting Jack installs, so I only used the JackOsX install, not Fink's. Also, running JAMin the first time it had some trouble finding some plugins, so I ran:

export LADSPA_PATH=/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/

as Derek suggested and that worked. Your LADSPA plugins might be somewhere else.

All in all, JAMin works on my machine. Unclear as of yet if my Powerbook 1.6ghz is powerful enough to make it usable. Maybe by the time I get around to mastering I'll have upgraded to a more powerful setup.

derekh
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Just noticed Jamin 0.95.0-2 has been added to Fink. Trying it now...

derekh
OK, the Fink Jamin is officially an ARRRRG-sh*t-typical-Unix experience. Dragged in tons of updates and deps. Had to free more than 2Gb on my system drive to compile GCC-4.4.4. Took the entire weekend, only to discover that the JACK dep that Jamin pulled in from Fink conflicts with the JACK that JackOSX uses.

Somehow I knew that would happen, I just wanted to see if installing Jamin would be as easy as I thought so that I could recommend it to students of mine using OSX. Nothing is that easy when you have to compile things, so I can't really recommend this method to anyone until someone works out how to get Fink apps to use JACK from /usr/local/lib without a ton of geekery.

I checked on the Fink list and found a "system-jack" Fink package which still requires modifying the Fink packages to use, but it seems to have fallen out of the distribution since it was created. In any case, hacking debs is not what audio production students want to be doing with their free time, so Jamin is off my list for the next workshops I give anyways.

I'm on one of the last G4 Powerbooks ever made, so begging again for someone to package up a binary would be like asking for snow in June (or a suntan this December!). Ah well, back to the drawing board...

seablade
Fairly certain that my binary is Intel only, I think I had already switched when I built it sorry.

Thomas

derekh
Hi Thomas,

yeah, I checked your binary when you posted it and knew already it was Intel only. Thanks anyways, I'm sure others have found it useful. I guess the plus with the Fink Jamin is that it sorts out all the deps, even if what the Jamin it actually installs is useless.

seablade
Well I can tell you from experience that I don't use Fink or MacPorts even for compiling my own programs. It tends to cause more headaches than not.

Seablade

derekh
Arise from the dead, dear thread! (AKA: "I can't believe he's still banging on about this...")

It looks like someone is taking the trouble to maintain Jamin in Fink:

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/jamin

Last Changed: Tue, 14 Feb 2012

Would anybody be interested in reporting back if this works for them or not? Thx!

Actually, related question: it seems Ardour has the power to start JACK by itself now. Does that mean there is a version of JACK built into Ardour, or does it still call the systems JACK? I ask because the "only" problem I had with Fink Jamin was that the Fink one gets compiled against its own version of JACK instead of what is on the system. If Ardour now has its own internal JACK server, that could complicate things even more...

BTW, Ardour is not in Fink. That might have solved the problem.

seablade
@derekh Ardour will use the version of Jack located in /usr/local/

Which in terms of Fink means that it won't use Fink's Jack IIRC, and you will have two versions of Jack installed on your machine if you go this route and this is what is known as a BAD IDEA!

Sorry I haven't had time to work on much coding at all in several years now, and am back on Linux these days for my production work anyways. While I don't expect the version of Jamin I linked to, to have problems any time soon, I don't expect to update it either sorry.

Seablade

derekh
@Seablade: I wonder if it would be possible to simlink from /usr/local to /sw or wherever Fink puts it's JACK? Hmmm....

I appreciate the work you already did, thanks. I'm still on this old PPC machine, so that's one issue.

The other would be that, when I did try your binary on an Intel Mac, I recall that the GUI was pretty unresponsive. This made it hard to interact with. Perhaps other folks had better luck with it.

@ANYBODY: it's been five and a half years since this thread got started. Jamin remains a top-notch mastering app from the Linux world, but apparently nobody but me and Seablade and whoever is doing the Fink package are interested in getting this running properly on OS X. Maybe we should make a bounty?

Best wishes!
D.

linuxdsp
linuxdsp's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 58 min ago. Offline
Jamin remains a top-notch mastering app from the Linux world

Unfortunately not. JAMIN (on linux) is not 'top-notch' and never was.

seablade
The other would be that, when I did try your binary on an Intel Mac, I recall that the GUI was pretty unresponsive. This made it hard to interact with. Perhaps other folks had better luck with it.

Nope that is pretty accurate. Any time it was processing audio it was less than responsive, my suspicion came down to a problem in fft but I never had time to truly track it down.

Seablade

marcin
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hello, I'm new to Ardour, Jamin and Mac but I've managed to build (and start and run) Jamin on OSX 10.7.4. Does anyone need howtos?

derekh
I'm using Seablade's binary now that I have a new Intel Mac on OSX 10.8.2. Seems to work great, much more responsive than I remember on other machines. Only thing is that clicking the spectral view crashes it, I imagine this has to do with incompatibilities with FFTW.

seablade
Huh... imagine that.

I haven't touched the damn thing in years. I am amazed it works at all.

Seablade

derekh
I'm surprised too! Happy, but surprised ;-)

neantpastel
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline
hello,

the link for the binary is dead.. im wondering if anyone have a backup link ..

seablade
You may have to ask around, not sure I still have it, I stopped using it some time ago and never got back to updating it, sorry.

Seablade

JL
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
hello

just asked around... with no result.....

seablade
Heh looks like I made a backup distribution link, for right now I suppose I will post it here, though please keep in mind I pay for every download of it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lvavc_public/jamin/Jamin.app.zip

I offer no real support of this these days, sorry. Use at your own risk, I am not responsible if this crashes your computer, melts your hard drive, or eats your children, though I will be curious how that is possible:)

Seablade