Dream beta release (Ubuntu Based Multimedia Distro with Ardour and ArdourVST 2.8.7)

36 replies [Last post]
macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 days 11 hours ago. Offline
beejunk: The new ubuntustudio-controls creates a file to which it adds availablity of firewire, and as you mentioned, joining the video group once it's enabled is the way to make use of it.

As far as your problems getting a USB install to work, I'm not sure what to say, but I'm testing as we speak. I've already successfully installed Dream to a USB stick from the Dream beta1 iso, but I've only done it locally, so I'll check the iso on my webserver and get back to you when I've given that a go. By the way - what version of Ubuntu are you using to install it? I had success with both the usb creator and unetbootin on Lucid, with no errors on install...

beejunk
beejunk's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
macinnisrr: I used Lucid running on my desktop. I have since tried it on my laptop running a fresh Lucid install, and usb creator had no problem making a startup drive. So it was something that was wrong with my desktop. Who knows what.

However, I was still unable to complete an install of Dream onto my computer from this drive. I received the same error toward the end of the installation. This is the text of the error:

The installer encountered an error copyinig files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may hellp to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the DC/DVD at a slower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronic suppliers), to check wheter the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

I do not have this issue when installing regular Lucid from a USB drive.

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
beejunk: Thanks for your help, I think I've figured out what happened. There was some sort of file degradation with the iso on my webserver, but my local file is still okay. I've since uploaded a new file to my webserver (same name as the old one so the link will still work), but unfortunately you'll have to re-download the iso. One thing you should know, however, is that when you go to upgrade your system (to get the new realtime-audio-controls, which works as it should now), you'll have to manually remove these three packages:

ubuntustudio-controls
dream-audio (which depends on the above)
dream-studio (which depends on dream-audio)

Once you've removed these files you can re-install "dream-studio" and all the other dependencies will come along with it. I will be uploading a new iso (beta2) overnight tonight with these changes applied, which will be the final beta, as I will not be removing any more dependencies. I will be adding some example files (Ardour and Cinelerra sessions, inkscape, scribus, and gimp files, hydrogen, qtractor and zyn sessions, etc..., as well as the demo versions of linuxdsp plugins) before the final release comes out, but all of these will be pulled in by dream-studio on final release.

beejunk
beejunk's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I re-downloaded the beta1 image. It works, and I've got Dream installed on my computer. There are a few issues, though, but I'll just send you an e-mail with those.

musty
musty's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 week ago. Offline
Did you ever release an iso for those without PAE support as claimed above? If so, what is the url?

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
check out dream.dickmacinnis.com. The default iso now ships with a generic kernel, which can easily be upgraded to either rt or rt-pae. Visit the new forum at the Dream Studio website for more information.