New classical recording to share

4 replies [Last post]
tbonedude
User offline. Last seen 1 year 52 weeks ago. Offline
Hey all,

I have a new classical recording to share with you all! It's a recording of my brother singing the Pearl Fisher duet at his half hour recital this past semester (he is singing Bass-Baritone). It was recorded with a stereo set of AKG SDC's suspended in the hall. I am finally satisfied with the post production to have others hear it now (as the hall didnt sound great). Below is a link to an .ogg mixdown of the master. I hope everyone enjoys listning to it as much as I do! Also, let me know what you think about it!

http://www.mediafire.com/?nkoqwwmynjr

PS. I mastered this recording with mostly LinuxDSP LV2 plugins (all plugins used were LinuxDSP except the LADSPA hard limiter and Barry's Satan Maximizer).

tbonedude
I see there have been at least 8 downloads of this song. Cmon people, what are your comments?!

thorgal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
aah Bizet, les PĂȘcheurs de Perles :)

I could only listen to it on my crap laptop. I will give it a thorough listen in my studio when I have the time. Your brother's french is pretty good ;) He can sing for sure!

But as a first (and maybe wrong) impression, it seems that the singing is more affected by the room than the piano. I'll get back to you later ...

mixit
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 16 min ago. Offline
I can sense the room they are singing in - it is not as big as the rooms where this kind of music is normally perfomed, not nescessarily a bad thing - makes for a touch of intimacy and cosiness ...

If the singers had microphones closer to theirs mouths, you would have greater control of the production - but possibly that would have impeded or even disturbed the performance...

THe singers are very good - can't give a more qualified comment than this as i am not very familiar with this kind of music.

What sound card did you use and with what sample rate (kHz)?

tbonedude
I didn't actually record this. I just did post production. It was recorded by my school using a Tascam direct to disc recorder probably set at 24 bit, 92k . The mics were set up in an xy stereo pattern.