2.8.9 and 3.0 on Ubuntu 10.04

5 replies [Last post]
thorwil
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I'd like to build both Ardour 2.8.9 and 3.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid, 64 bit).

I tried building 2.8.9 with the distribution-provided jackd 0.118+svn3796-1ubuntu2 (plus related packages) and then with vanilla 0.118 and 1.9.5, installed to /usr on top of the existing stuff, as removing the package would rip out a lot of other stuff.

In all 3 cases, I got:

e -Ilibs/ardour -Ilibs/rubberband -I/usr/include/rasqal -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include libs/ardour/audioengine.cc
In file included from libs/ardour/audioengine.cc:30:
libs/ardour/ardour/buffer.h:22:1: warning: "_XOPEN_SOURCE" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/unistd.h:26,
from libs/ardour/audioengine.cc:20:
/usr/include/features.h:160:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from libs/ardour/audioengine.cc:30:
libs/ardour/ardour/buffer.h: In constructor ‘ARDOUR::AudioBuffer::AudioBuffer(size_t)’:
libs/ardour/ardour/buffer.h:87: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int posix_memalign(void**, size_t, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
libs/ardour/ardour/buffer.h: In constructor ‘ARDOUR::AudioBuffer::AudioBuffer(size_t)’:
libs/ardour/ardour/buffer.h:87: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int posix_memalign(void**, size_t, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
libs/ardour/audioengine.cc: In static member function ‘static void ARDOUR::AudioEngine::halted_info(jack_status_t, const char*, void*)’:
libs/ardour/audioengine.cc:869: error: ‘JackBackendError’ was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [libs/ardour/audioengine.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Apparently other people managed to build even 3.0 with Ubuntu's jack?!

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
I just finished building 2.8.9 with no problems. I'm currently compiling with vst support. Will post debs as soon as they're ready, probably before this afternoon....

thorwil
maciniisrr: using the same jack packages coming with Ubuntu 10.04? I really would like to know what's going wrong here.

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
thorwil: I just used "sudo apt-get build-dep ardour" at the command line, also "sudo apt-get install wine1.2-dev" for vst support. Everything went great.

This is only with Ardour 2.8.9 however. I tried to compile 3.0 a while ago, but it wouldn't work. I believe Ardour 3 requires jack2.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 11 sec ago. Offline
ardour3 does *not* require jack2. it does require a newer version of the JACK API. both jack1 and jack2 can provide that.

thorwil
So thanks to Paul's help, I found out I had stuff in /usr/local/include from an installation where i didn't think of defining prefix early enough. At some point, i did check /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib but didn't think of the all important include :}

And all this after years with Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, usually building most audio apps manually.