zed r16

Hi, I am new to Ardour but very interested into going linux. I am used to wok with Osx but they are just to expensive.
My idea was to go linux, but there is however a problem (off course)
I have an ZED-r16 allen & heath mixer and they seem not to have drivers for linux… is there any way to use the mixer with linux (dual booth??) or do i have to bankrupt myself with a mac?

Dang Paul posting quickly:)

Seablade

hi there,

I don’t want to confuse matters but from a quick look at the ZED-R16 mixer board, it looks to me that it is a standalone device that you can redirect to another soundcard. So if you have e.g. an RME HDSP system (some are fully supported by linux-ALSA), you can always connect both. Or am I misleading ?

“details” at http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/zed/zed-R16.asp

@jeanjoret: a different audio interface would be a LOT cheaper than a mac. Its possible that FFADO supports the zed r-16, and it won’t cost you anything except time to figure that out. No companies provide linux drivers - the issue is whether linux has drivers that can support the device. If the zed r-16 is a generic bebob or dice-II firewire audio device, then there is a reasonable chance that FFADO will work. http://ffado.org/

From the manual: “The FireWire controller we use in ZED-R16 is the DICE Jr from TC Applied Technologies…” So it might be possible that it works with ffado.

In case it doesn’t, it seems the ADAT I/O work in parallel to the firewire I/O, so a HDSP from RME (as Thorgal allready stated) would be a fine solution to connect it under Linux.

Hmm I didn’t even realize it had ADAT I/O as well, interesting. Makes me wish that much more it had flying faders, but maybe it could be used as a live control surface if using Ardour to mix live.

Seablade

It can be, but it also has a built in Firewire port for connecting to a computer and providing two way audio between the console and the computer that way.

Seablade

Your best bet is to check with the FFDAO folks. Don’t hold your breath though sadly.

Seablade