Early music album made with ardour

A new early music CD has been published, the audio part completely recorded and edited with ardour. It was a one-week recording session (8-10 hours a day) in a small church (with lots of wind coming through the windows).

Ardour did a great job, no failures at all, very few xruns (in the order of 1 in a day). The recording was done with ardour 2.7 (if I remember well, it was in summer 2009), the editing mainly with 2.8.

The CD “Sound out my voice - Italian madrigals and bastarda music for viol consort” is commercially available at http://www.orlandoviols.de/, and a short “making of” video is on youtube (search for “orlandoviols”).

Thanks to all ardour developers!

Giso (ardour user since end of 2003)

Beautiful work, Giso. I assumed the “Orlando” in the title is De Lasso ? The music is wonderfully performed (my compliments to the players) and the recording is excellent.

Thanks for the notice. Btw, does the group have plans to record other early music ?

Best regards,

dp

Thank you for sharing this, Giso. I love early music, and thoroughly enjoyed the video and sound clips.

Can you share which mics and configuration you used?

PaulH

Beautiful music. Thinking about buying the CD…

Gruesse, Pablo

Thanks for that info, Giso. Were the KM183 omni in AB? Have you experimented with Jecklin disc?

I hope that your consort can visit us in Australia some time. If you are interested, a company called Musica Viva may be able to facilitate this. They specialize in presenting small ensemble performances, usually in intimate performance venues. (I have no affiliation with them, however)

http://www.musicaviva.com.au/aboutus

All the best. I will probably buy the CD, as I would like to listen to the performances on a competent play-back system.

Paul H

The two KM183 were in a distance of 17 cm from each other (the vertical distance to the KM184 was 10 cm as I realized right know). A picture of the recording room is here (it is the first picture in the video clip, but of course there you cannot see any details): http://orlandoviols.de/aufnahmeraum.jpg (the only picture, unfortunately).

I never tried a Jecklin disc, I should though. However, I think that all attempts to reproduce correct binaural cues fail as soon as we listen to it on a speaker system. I personally prefer to have a good sound on a speaker system rather than a perfect reproduction on the headphones, but that of course is a matter of taste…

Giso

(and thanks for the musica viva hint, we probably will apply for festival support - the treble viol player is originally from Australia)

The mic setup I finally used was a pair of Neumann KM183 (omni) in a distance of about 2 meters from the musicians (well, five of us are spanning wide range). I also recorded a pair of KM184 (cardoid) at approximately the same place, and another pair of KM183 in a bit more distance, to have the choice of bringing more direct sound or more room to the mix, but in the end the KM183 stereo pair was the best. To avoid low frequency boost (caused by wind noise, it was stormy weather outside) I used the “Glame Highpass filter” (LADSPA plugin) with 40 Hz cutoff and 3rd or 4th order, I forgot. The preamplifier and AD converter was a Behringer ADA8000, but only because I did not have any other. The rest is an RME hdsp9652 in a small VIA Eden based PC at 1.2 GHz (by now I replaced that with a Atom N330 and faster hard disks). No cooling needed, the PC was right next to me in the recording room. Usually I use (and very much like) the Frontier Tranzport, but I forgot to bring the libardour_tranzport.so to the recording…

DavePbillips: No and Yes: No, it is more Orlando Gibbons, an English composer of viol music, lived 1583-1625. Although the music of the video is by Pierre Sandrin, french composer, who lived nearly 100 years before. And yes, we have plans for new programs and new recordings. Although the plans for the next concert program are more in the direction of real-time post processing, 3D sound and a crossover between Early and New music.

Thanks for all your compliments!

Giso