64 bit linux or 32 bit linux for Ardour recent version?

Dear developers,

I want to use ardour under linux.
Do you recommend 32bit os or 64bit os?

Sincerely,
prko

Hi,

I develop AV Linux, it is a 32bit Linux OS but uses a PAE Kernel which has the greatest advantage of a 64bit system which is increased memory handling (up to 64Gb). It also has included support out of the box for VST plugins and even includes a demo one to try. You can try it (and Ardour) on a LiveDVD if you’re interested here:

http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

it doesn’t really make any difference to ardour2 itself.

if you want to be able to use flash, a 32 bit system will be much easier and less likely to crash your browser. you also cannot run VST plugins in a 64 bit build of ardour.

I recommend AV Linux!
Like a few others around here, I’ve tried the “big distro” based systems: 2 versions of 64Studio and 2 of Ubuntu Studio, and they all had something wrong with them.

I installed AV Linux just today and I already know it’s here to stay! It is 32 bit, but the performance or the RT kernel* is far beyond any of the Ubuntu or 64Studio flavours I’ve tried, and it has Ardour 2.8.11 as standard and new versions of all the other applications too. Apparently there isn’t really much difference in speed between 32 and 64 bit systems.

And if you do use it and like it, send Glen (Gmaq) some financial encouragement to keep up the good work. http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

• no xruns at 0.7ms latency on AMD 1.8GHz single core, with Ardour recording 8 channels!

Dream Studio (dream.dickmacinnis.com) is a 32 bit OS that will take advantage of up to 64GB of RAM. Like AVLinux, Dream Studio is available on a liveDVD that you can try before installation. However, Dream Studio is based on Ubuntu, so if you’re new to linux in general, you’ll find more support for first time users via the UbuntuForums (ubuntuforums.org) and thousands of other sites, due to the fact that Ubuntu is currently the most widely used linux distribution there is.

DickMacInnis.com

Yes, I’m sure Dream Studio is doing “The Right Thing” in the Ubuntu world, and it probably gets the screen resolution set up correctly which AV Linux didn’t without a bit of help from me, and having a Gnome desktop is easier to set up.

I’ll admit my choice was influenced by being a Debian die-hard :slight_smile:

Anahata

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words anahata,

Was the screen resolution issue nVidia related by chance? Debian’s inclusion of the modesetting ‘nouveau’ driver by default has caused more trouble than it has saved for Debian users.

@macinnisrr
Ubuntu is very fortunate to have projects like your Dream Studio to save their unfortunate tarnishing multimedia reputation They should put you on the payroll! :slight_smile:

I’ll just wait until I get 1,000,000 users and sell them the whole works :wink:

@Gmaq : yes, it’s an nvidia card and a a cheap 1920x1080 monitor. At one point in my earlier attempts to upgrade 64studio with packages from Debian testing, I had one that auto-detected it correctly. That was probably the modesetting driver you mentioned. It worked fine for me!

I don’t rate widescreen monitors much generally, but it’s actually a good shape for running Ardour and also for some DTP work I do on the same computer.

@macinnisrr

Hello Dick, It’s been a while. Are you still putting out the DreamStudio project? I have not seen any new versions from you in a while now. Just wondering. I know it’s been a few years but keep in touch bro.

Dream Studio seems to be alive see http://www.celeum.com/about-dreamstudio/

@cominatyalive: The newest version of DreamStudio will be released very soon, but unlike previous versions it won’t be a complete linux distribution. It will from now on be released as a software bundle, and will include a demo of Mixbus (which I was able to confirm just this morning), as well as Editshare’s Lightworks for professional video editing. Celeum DreamStudio 2015 will run on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

@dickmacinnis: Nice to see that you are still in the land of the living! All of your websites are giving 404s or default service provider webpages - I thought for a moment you had quietly disappeared. Looking forward to seeing your software suite. Which you do recommend as a base system? I like Mint (never really got the Unity inferace) but obviously a real time kernel will have to be installed.

@macinnisrr: Yes, I noticed the Celeum web site when searching for Dream Studio. Was there copyright issues with Ubuntu? Just being nosy, u don’t have to answer. Say, I am interested in the Lightworks as I am currently using Openshot but had a issue with gray background when using Animated Titles when it should be black. So far, AV Linux is the only OS that Animated Titles works in. Does Lightworks blow away Openshot? I’m guessing yes. Let it roll bro.

Maybe TangoStudio is also an interesting distribution ( http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/en ). I have set up the version based on Debian 7 on some of my computers and it runs at least as stable as KX Studio - and more stable than UbuntuStudio. (Tried AVLinux several times but there were some problems - I couldn’t find out why.)
With two monitors and with Ardour connected to an external DAW controller (Mackie MCU Pro) TangoStudio seems to be more comfortable than KX and UbuntuStudio. And it can be used on old PCs, too.

Michael

I’m not on Facebook.

How do you download Celium Dreamstudio without the need to “like”?