find the file I've imported when I *didn't* 'copy files to session'?

No replies
jdetwile
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
When Ardour imports audio, and 'copy files to session' is NOT checked, there's a 56-byte entry in 'interchange' containing the name of the file (which I assume is a pointer of some kind).

Is there any way to read the location of the 'real' audio file by looking at those 56 bytes? The file *name* is there, but not the *path* to the file.

Example:
import a stereo track from

~/audio_stuff/foo.wav

and find that my_session/interchange/my_session/audiofiles contains just

foo-1%L.wav
foo-1%R.wav

I want to trace back to the actual audio (so that I can archive it), but -- as explained below -- prefer not to 'copy files to session'.

My situation is as follows:

I use Ardour to 'sweeten' movie soundtracks. My normal workflow is (1) create a movie in Cinelerra, and render both audio (foo.wav) and video (foo.m2v); (2) 'import' foo.wav into Ardour; (3) sweeten in Ardour and export as 'bar.wav'; (4) mux foo.m2v and bar.wav into the final foobar.mpg.

Now it sometimes happens that, after working on 'sweetening' the soundtrack, I need to make a small change in Cinelerra, which results in a new foo.wav (same file name, different sound). I find that - since I DON'T 'copy imported files to session' - Ardour automagically gets the new sound. So all my fader automation, SFX, etc., is still there and (with minor tweaking) works just fine.

So that's why I don't 'copy files...'. But surely I should be able to FIND those imported files? After all, Ardour is doing it! What am I missing?

Thanks!
John

BTW: when I 'refresh' my sound, I find that Ardour now has *two* sets of pointers

foo-1%Lwav
foo-1%R.wav
foo-2%L.wav
foo-2%R.wav