Better envelope control; single track editing; zoom on time marker

Hi all,

Not only am I a noob to Ardour I’m a noob to Linux too but in the space of a week I have migrated to Ubuntu and am creating podcasts in Ardour. After the usual minor frustrations of learning a new system I’m pleased to say I have the hang of it. Are these following ideas already available? Maybe I just haven’t discovered them yet.

1. In other DAW it’s possible to create new envelope points anywhere on the wav file and drag them up and down in order to fade/pan volume/channel. These points (squares joined by a line) can be created anywhere along the track.

2. In Audition it’s possible to switch between multi-track view and single track view. I find this makes editing the single track much easier.

3. When zooming in and out I’m used to the zoom centering wherever the time indicator is placed. At the moment I am zooming in and out and then scrolling left and right in order to find the time marker, which I use to mark where I am working.

Oh, and I hope the lack of mp3 export is just a legal issue, not a moral one. In another forum I was told there is no mp3 export because it is a lossy file format and that went against what Ardour stood for, or words to that effect. I thought that was plain daft. As a podcast creator I have to export to mp3 and I expect my multi-track to do that. I understand the legal argument, however.

First this might help with some of your questions. http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Introduction

1. Yes automation, if that is what you want to call it, is available, either as an envelope for gain on each region (right click menu, show and enable envelope) or as separate automation tracks (gain, pan and more) for each track. Look for the ‘a’ button on the track headers.

2. Not available exactly like that, but you can zoom into a region with alt-z and then zoom back out with shift-z.

3. there is a zoom focus drop down menu next to the zoom buttons, set it to playhead to have zoom centred around it.

I believe that the lack of mp3 export is a legal issue as ogg export does exist so Ardour isn’t morally against compressed formats.

Yupp, mp3 export is a legal issue since Paul is american and therefore is affected by software patents.

Thanks for your replies, chaps,. Appreciated.

2. In Audition it's possible to switch between multi-track view and single track view. I find this makes editing the single track much easier.

Select the track you want to concentrate on and hit ‘F’. This will cause it to fill the screen, and you just right click Height>Normal to return to normal.

Seablade