Monitor record tracks?

How do I monitor record tracks as they are being recorded, preferably with any effects used on that track?

@audiodef: Options -> Monitoring -> Ardour does monitoring

(posted something in the wrong thread - pay no attention to the curtain behind the man)

And now for a REAL post! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, Paul. Switching to this, I notice a metallic reverb when monitoring vocals on a record-armed track. Did I miss something that’s supposed to prevent this?

I’m assuming this is a latency issue to be fixed in JACK. Which latency setting should I adjust?

If you have a metallic reverb that you didn’t insert, this sounds like you are monitoring through multiple sources then, not just through Ardour and are getting a phasing problem.

Seablade

+1 at what seablade says.

There has to be more than one audio signal (or source) to get that short delay effect, you hear one and then the next one a few ms after.

60 yrs ago you would be discovering/inventing delay or some cheesy reflection reverb, unfortunately you didn’t :smiley:

No, just through Ardour. I want to monitor a vocal track with software effects, so I had my hardware monitor zeroed. But maybe I’m hearing multiple monitors through Ardour. I’ll have to check my JACK connections carefully.

I don’t THINK if you were double monitoring a track/bus inside JACK/Ardour you would have this type of latency effect (someone correct me if wrong) but I’ve had this type of issue myself and all I get as a result is louder signals but no phasing/delaying sounds.

@joegiampaoli

You would be incorrect there in many cases, especially all those involving busses. But it depends on the exact setup how noticeable it is of course.

@audiodef

If you can’t see what might be happening, you can post up your jack routing jack_lsp -c surrounded by <PRE> and </PRE> tags and we can attempt to help see what your issue is. If it isn’t in jack, it would likely still be in hardware somewhere obviously.

Seablade

Yes, I was later thinking after my post that maybe a lot of busses (+ FX) in a chain would for sure add some latency compared to a clean or direct bus even if both inside the same sound engine…

Thank you very much! I was looking for the same.