What software is needed in total to setup ardour?

I have ardour installed, it dont work.

I get no error message and the program will not load at all.

Jack is supposed to be used in some way but I have no idea how.

Other programs need to be installed but there is no list and it does not come as a complete package.

What programs should be installed all in all to operate?

Where can I get this information from?

Second to that I am on the brink of just giving up and considering this program pathetic as I can operate studio software but it appears that you have to jump through hoops and do stunts just to open the program.

I did get some error messages but after restarting my computer I now no longer even can get them.

Thanks

Running Linux 10.10 64 bit and installed as upgrade with ubuntu studio - this never installed ardour or any other package so I had to do things manually.

Ardour + Jack control installed.

Jack control will not operate at all at this time either.

ok - i got ardour opening again

error

1. You requested audio parameters that are not supported…
  2. JACK is running as another user.

Jack error message

7:00:34.574 Patchbay deactivated.
07:00:34.634 Statistics reset.
Cannot open qjackctl client
07:00:39.661 ALSA connection graph change.
07:00:39.906 ALSA connection change.
07:00:39.907 ALSA connection graph change.
07:00:47.400 Startup script…
07:00:47.401 artsshell -q terminate
Cannot open qjackctl client
sh: artsshell: not found
07:00:47.803 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
07:00:47.803 JACK is starting…
07:00:47.804 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
07:00:47.835 JACK was started with PID=1779.
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
`default’ server already active
Failed to start server
jackdmp 1.9.6
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
07:00:47.850 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
07:00:47.850 Post-shutdown script…
07:00:47.851 killall jackd
07:00:48.275 Post-shutdown script terminated successfully.
07:00:49.846 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
07:01:00.089 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle
alsa_driver_xrun_recovery

I also get this

@mike: (1) forums are a pathetic venue for support, and we prefer not to use them. Its much easier and more productive for us to help people on IRC (see http://ardour.org/support) where we can do things in real time.

(2) Many, many people new to using pro-audio and music creation software on Linux make the entirely understandable mistake of imagining that it doesn't matter which distribution ("version") of Linux they use to get started with. Unfortunately this is not true. Although all versions of Linux can be made to work, the amount of work involved in getting things set up correctly varies from close to zero to really quite substantial. Although UbuntuStudio claims to target this sort of thing, the people involved in it have unfortunately fallen somewhat behind the curve and also been hampered by some of the decisions and policies of their "parent" distribution (Ubuntu). There are other Linux distributions that get much closer to the "out of the box" experience, but they don't get very much publicity, alas.

(3) You are running into the type of problems that are entirely typical of someone who has just started getting realtime audio set up on a "standard" Linux distribution. We can help you fix them, but they are not the fault of either Ardour or JACK and are instead a function of your system's configuration. If you'd like to get on IRC, there will be people around who can walk you through the steps you need to take to get things setup correctly. This forum is an entirely unsuitable medium for the back and forth that will be involved.

I will take note!

As you can probably tell I was getting frustrated with it and really I should know better - lol.

T’is late here tonight will investigate tomo.

thanks

Mike - I agree with everything what Paul said - I just want to say it to you more direct.

If I was you, I would download AVLinux ( http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html ) and try out the programs and your system. I once started with Ubuntu Studio (too much hassle and some update scrapped some functions of Audacity, one of the programs I’m using quite regulary), then tried 64 studio (no updates and “old” base system) and AV Linux is what I’m using now - and I’m happy with it. Great defaults and a good set of programs… If you want to start with Linux audio it is easer starting with a distribution optimized for audio use.

@gastric_bass: You wrote “If you want to start with Linux audio it is easer starting with a distribution optimized for audio use.”

Some time ago I would have agreed, but recently I’ve installed plain-vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 on two machines here. I added an rt kernel, made the necessary changes for permissions etc, and those machines have been performing very well.

OTOH I’ve read bad reports of Ubuntu 10.10 as a base system for rt audio. YMMV.

I’ve avoided UStudio. I don’t know whether it’s good or bad, but I compile all of my primary audio apps anyway so I’ve no need for it.

Best,

dp

@DavePhilips: that may work well for somebody who knows what to do - but if you are a novice I think a well built distro (like AVLinux) works great. I am a fan of dual booting (one system for audio work and one system for general usage) anyways - so I really like special not-resource-hungry systems for audio work and don’t need the general usage baggage that comes with Ubuntu. (and yes, the Ubuntu studio time was in the year 2007 and 2008, so I can’t say if it got better or worse)

Dream Studio (dream.dickmacinnis.com) has all the advantages of Ubuntu (lots of packages/repos, great support via Ubuntu Forums, regular releases, easy install/upgrade, etc.), and is configured out of the box for audio work. Dream Studio not only has more up-to-date packages than UbuntuStudio, but it also runs as a livecd so you can check it out before installing (and you don’t need to add any packages).