Ardour Financing Brainstorming
It was unsettling reading about the financial struggles of Ardour in previous posts.
Not only ardour but the guys that write excellent plugins like LinuxDSP also.
This is really a brainstorming post. Some more realistic and sensible or maybe even foolish.
1. Adopt the Reaper license model.
Make Ardour payware but keep the trial version uncrippled and unexpiring.
Thus the nagging screen on upstart and not only with export.
2. Add an Ardour Marketplace on the site and charge commission or advertising revenue.
This ought not to be difficult with a with all the ecommerce programs that support digital download purchases.
To make this easier for the Ardour team post a big disclaimer that support for these comes from the developer and Ardour.
3. Sell a yearly made with Ardour CD as a digital download.
4. Only support the major Linux distributions to save development time.
5. Give prospective hardware manufacturers advertising space or marketplace presence and gain advertising revenue or sales commission.
6. I might make an very misinformed statement here, but change the license agreement to that one where you are free to download and change the source code BUT you are required to submit these code for possible integration into Ardour after review.
7. Approach some online retailers that might give subscribers some special offers or benefits.