Does anyone use Waves plugins in Ardour?

No replies
MikeLAK
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
I've read conflicting things about the stability of using Waves/VST plugins in Ardour. Can anyone tell me, relatively definitively, if they run smoothly in Ardour? Is there a particular build of Ardour or built of Ubuntu/Red Hat/etc that it works better in?

-m
"Up the post punx!"

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 29 min ago. Offline
You can't use Waves plugins on Linux because they require the Pace iLok copy protection system, which doesn't exist for linux. Without this requirement, they would probably work just fine. We have talked to Waves about this, its not impossible that one day iLok for Linux might emerge, but I would not hold your breath.

philip8888
philip8888's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline
Well almost 3 yeats later.

Is ILOK and linux any closer?

----------------------------------
If it ain't runnin on A/V Linux...It ain't runnin.

www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

seablade
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 10 min ago. Offline
Nope

Seablade

philip8888
philip8888's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline
Sweet...

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 6 hours ago. Offline
Actually...

Somewhere around Wine 1.1.20 I was able to install and finally run my old Steinberg WaveLab 3.0 which putting any platform politics aside has yet to be improved upon as a Wave Editor/Mastering Utility IMO...but I digress,

In a mood to push my luck I pulled out my Waves Renaissance Compressor Disc and installed it as well, using Wavelab in Wine I can run the Renaissance no probs, however if I try running it in FST it's a no go.

@Philip8888

Thanks for your enthusiastic support of AV Linux, I'm hoping you got my "thanks" e-mail awhile back.

seablade
In a mood to push my luck I pulled out my Waves Renaissance Compressor Disc and installed it as well, using Wavelab in Wine I can run the Renaissance no probs, however if I try running it in FST it's a no go.

Is this with the iLok authorization, or did this predate that?

Seablade

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 6 hours ago. Offline
seablade,

I don't see any iLok logo or anything so it may predate that actually, it was part of one of them thar "Producer packs" so perhaps Waves and Steinberg worked out something...you know one of those axis of evil kind of things, it doesn't run with a dongle or anything and it is pretty old but dang it sounds good! I don't have any others to try. Barry's Satan Maximizer is a close second...now that's really evil.

seablade
Ok, means that you aren't dealing with the iLok authentication. All teh waves plugins to my knowledge nowadays require an iLok dongle in order to work.

Seablade