Celebrity mixed with ardour :D

Hi everybody,

Last summer, I was supposed to record Mañana me Chanto, a band I met trough some friends I recorded earlier. They are killer musicians, who have been touring none-stop for 7 years, alternating between summer in Europe and summer in South-America , so I was a bit disappointed when they mentioned they would prefer me to mix an album they recorded about a year ago.
Two songs into the album, they said: OK, now let’s do the song with Manu Chao. Huh!? Come again!?!?
I didn’t see that one coming! :smiley:

Have a listen here: http://magnetophon.nl/listen.html

All the best,

Bart.

Sounds great and natural!

What is the “Crystalizer convolution reverb”, can you provide a link (found only some TDM plugin) ?

Hi Bart,

Not sure if I’ve ever commented on your studio but damned I love the aesthetics of your displacement(not the correct accoustic term). It looks great. My rooms are all acoustically tuned but not big enough to give much thought to aesthetics. I’m jealous. :slight_smile:

The mix sounds solid. I don’t hear any problems that need to be fixed. Of course you could spend lots of time designing reverbs for different instruments; short tail rooms for the wood blocks and snare. Nothing that you’re not completely aware of. At any rate, it’s perfectly listenable.

My compliments,

Ron Parker
Mirror Image

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the compliments.
It means a lot coming from you; after all, this ( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/articles/mirrorimage.htm ) article, featuring you, is what got me into using Ardour in the first place.
I never would have thought that six years later, my studio is in SOS as well !! ( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct10/articles/green-studio.htm )

All the best,

Bart.

Bart,

Wow… an excellent job on what must have been a complicated ensemble to mic and mix! Great looking studio as well…amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry for poor english, but I like to know if someone feels that Manu is missing in this song ( if I understand well what you said, that the the guy never comes to the session !) :

Really good work, would you please share more about plugins and technical side of the mix ?

Thanks Glen!
It was mixed with AVlinux, so thank you again!

I did not record this, but the mix was actually quite straightforward, considering to the number of tracks that are in there. A good arrangement, well recorded, makes all the difference!

Sorry for poor english, but I like to know if someone feels that Manu is missing in this song ( if I understand well what you said, that the the guy never comes to the session !) :

I don’t really understand your question. Do you mean when is Manu singing? It’s the spoken voice at 1:38 and 2:52. And no, he did not come to the session, he recorded himself.

Really good work, would you please share more about plugins and technical side of the mix ?

Sure, there are actually ridiculously few plugins used.
Here is a complete rundown:

-Kick: “Echo delay line” to align it with the OH. “4-band EQ” little boost at 70, deep cut at 330.
-Snare: send to triple delay and orchestra_plate convolution verb. both only used for spot-FX. the dry signal is not routed to the master.
-OH L&R: one OH alligned with the other, with a “Echo delay line”, nothing else.
Everything routed to drumbus: “TAP tubewarmer”.

I love great drummers. They mix themselves!

-extra snare track comes in at 5:55 : just the orchestra_plate convolution verb.
-3 stereo percussion tracks: nothing.
-bass: nothing, not even a compressor!
-e-guitar: send to Crystalizer convolution reverb and sends to two different delays.
-acc-guitar: just a “cmt high pass filter” and a send to Crystalizer convolution reverb.
-solo guitar left: send to Crystalizer convolution reverb and sends to two different delays. It allready had a autowah recorded with it.
-solo guitar right: “Auto phaser” + send to Crystalizer convolution reverb and sends to a delay.
keys: send to Crystalizer convolution reverb
-Acordeon: send to Crystalizer convolution reverb and sends to two different delays.
-Trompet & Trombone: send to Crystalizer
-Leadvoc L&R: send to Crystalizer and sends to a delay.
-Manu’s voc LR: a “cmt high pass filter” and a delay at the end of some phrases.
-Manu’s low voc center: the same delay at the end of some phrases, plus a little bith of 8th delay everywhere.
-three other voc’s: send to Crystalizer and sends to a delay.
-5 tracks of Low panflute: send to Crystalizer, and one of them a send to a delay.
-Blowing wind sample: “cmt high pass filter”
-2 Thunder sample tracks: nothing.

That’s it! 38 tracks, with 9 plugins on them!!!

Well OK, I also freaked a bit with the delays:
-main delay: “L/C/R delay.”
-a bus caled TripleDelay, used on Manu, the keyboard and the snare here and there: “Delayorama”.
-a bus called “8thDelay”: “Low pass filter”, "TAP tubewarmer, send to a bus called “8thFeedback”, “high pass filter”, “SC4”, “Echo delay line” set to 100% wet.
-the bus called “8thFeedback” has just an “Echo delay line” set to 100% wet. As the name sugests, it is routed back to 8thDelay.
-a bus called “4thDelay” and “4thFeedback”: identical plugins to “8thDelay” and “8thFeedback”
-a bus to automate the keyboard send to the tripledelay: “TAP tubewarmer”
-two busses, one to automate the snare send to the tripledelay and one to automate the Manu send to the tripledelay: no plugins used.
-one bus called “Crystalizer” with an insert to a jconv and a “Echo delay line” for aligning.
-one bus called “Snareverb” with an insert to a jconv, running a orchestra_plate impulse.

For a grand total of 21 plugins!! ( for those of you meticulously counting: some of the busses also have a “Simple Amplifier” for easier adjustments after automating the fader, and a couple of delay lines, one for course adjustments, one for fine.)

There was a lot of automation going on in this mix: region gains, some pans but mainly a LOT of automating the sends of delays (via a bus).

If you have any more questions: just let me know.