What Day?

Hi all. Here is our second attempt at recording a song using Ardour on a vanilla Ubuntu machine: http://soundcloud.com/girt-1/what-day-beta2

It has a few obvious faults but fixing them is going to take time and I figure any advice, comments or criticisms would be good to hear sooner rather than later.

I did the mastering with Jamin, but to be honest I don’t really know much about it so I really just hit the “Boost” button 'cause that sounded like a cool thing. :slight_smile:

I think I might have recorded everything as 44.1 kHz which was probably a bit lame as a pre mix down sample rate, I’ll have to look into that a bit more.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

Basic intro to mastering with Jamin, here: http://www.64studio.com/howto-mastering
I have heard some have very good results using the linuxdsp multiband compressors, combined with the EQ

Regarding your sampling rate, it all depends on your target, and what you want to do with it.

Recording is much like taking a picture with a digital camera. You can easilly take a picture with a 5 or 8 megapixel SLR with a great lens that will beat a 12 megapixel compact camera hands down.
Your “lens” is your signal chain, and if you can get away with minimal processing, your recording will actually sound better on your target media if the recording sample rate matches it.

If your target is MP3 or OGG, I would not worry about the sampling rate much, since your frequency bandwidth is going to be truncated anyway :wink:

Thanks for the information. Point taken about mixing down to mp3 in the end anyway. The mastering how to is very interesting. I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have mixed and mastered with my $10 earphones, a decent pair of monitoring speakers sound like a worthwhile investment. I have heard people say that you just need to hear how other professional CDs sound on whatever equipment you have and copy that, but it is very difficult to not end up compensating for your own equipment’s short comings and therefor make the mix sound terrible on everyone else’s.

Thanks again,
Stuart