Duplicate loops with crossfade

How do I duplicate loops with the crossfader?
it looks like the crossfaders always go away from the regions when i duplicate them.
do I have to set each crossfader again and again or am I missing the small little button to do this? :slight_smile:

skál
Stinni

Hmm not exactly certain what you are referring to, can you clarify some? Thanks.

Seablade

You can duplicate the loop you want as many times as you need and then select all of the regions, resize one of them and it will do the same for all of the regions, creating the crossfade for all of the regions.

Im having few regions in lets say one bar. Those regions have some crossfades on them and I’ve edited the crossfades a bit. Now I want to copy that whole bar with all the regions and their crossfades.
problem #1:but when I do by pressing “D” the regions do not copy straight to next bar but all just copy them self next to the end of their copied regions(hehe really hard to write this I’ll try to post screencapture)

problem #2: when I copy those regions and paste to next bar I do have the crossfades on but all my crossfade edits are not active so I have to edit all the crossfades again and again.

Hope I’m clearer now, really hard to describe in words , specially when I my english is not the best. Im going to figure out how I can post pictures for you guys.

thanks for your help
stinni

Hi Stinni,

The “duplicate” function isn’t smart enough to duplicate multiple regions, sorry.

You could use copy-paste, combined with using the Grid to get the spacing right.

Another alternative is to sweep a range over the regions and consolidate them to a single region, then Duplicate that.

-Ben

problem #1:but when I do by pressing "D" the regions do not copy straight to next bar but all just copy them self next to the end of their copied regions(hehe really hard to write this I'll try to post screencapture)

Nope, followed you perfectly on that, yes that is actually the intentional behavior as duplicate is most often used for loops so typically you want the loops to follow each other.

problem #2: when I copy those regions and paste to next bar I do have the crossfades on but all my crossfade edits are not active so I have to edit all the crossfades again and again.

Ahh yea, in this case the best thing to do is what Ben mentioned, consolidate and duplicate the consolidated region. I don’t think the copy function copies crossfades yet, but that is a worthwhile feature request you could put into Ardour’s Mantis issue tracker(Click Issue Tracker above) so that it gets implemented sometime, no promises on when by the Ardour team though sorry;)

As an aside, if you haven’t figured it out yet, t here is a modifier button you can use to click and drag regions to copy them that way, it won’t solve your issue with crossfades, but it can be a quick way to copy things between bars if you use the grid and snapping functions.

Seablade

PS To get screen captures on Mac, use Grab for stills, and Quicktime X for screen recordings if you are on Snow Leopard. If you aren’t on Snow Leopard, my preferred way is to use VLC, since i don’t know of a built in app to get screen recordings.

Brilliant I did the consolidating to the regions and it’s exactly doing what I need it to do! thanks guys. off to sampling!