Behringer V-amp as midi controller. Is it possible?

7 replies [Last post]
LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline
I have had a Behringer V-amp for awhile now but only in the last week actually found out that the software for it actually runs flawlessly on Ubuntu. I got very excited about this, seeing that i was able to control my V-amp from the computer. I have never used a controller on Linux before so i decided to look up on how to do it to see if i could use my V-amp as one. I found this guide -

http://ardour.org/generic_midi_control

I checked it out and followed every step. I used Patchage as my MIDI patchbay and everything seemed to hook up fine. I got right up to the stage where the message "Operate Controller now" comes up. This is where it seems to end unfortunately. I turn knobs but Ardour doesn't respond. Bit disappointing. So, is it possible to do this? As i have never connected up a controller before i could very well be missing something fundamental. I was able to control it with Behringer's Windows software through Wine, so i imagine it must be possible to get it working with Ardour as the computer does recognise it. I have heard of people using them as controllers so it would be great if i could get it working, even if just for a few basic controls. Anyone have any idea's?

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
Step one is probably checking what messages the V-amp is sending. Outside of ardour the simplest thing is to use gmidimon or kmidimon. I'be reasonably confident that your problem is a connection one, but checking the nature of the messages comes first I think.

LeatusPenguin
I just installed kmidimon and hooked it up. Every control I move is recognised but i'm not sure exactly what I am supposed to be looking for and how to apply it.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
LeatusPenguin: cut and paste the output shown in kmidimon, paste it to http://pastebin.com and then post the URL here. i'll take a look at it.

peder
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Are you sure you've connected the MIDI output to Ardours control input?
You can not start jack with "-Xraw" for it to work (atleast it didn't work for me, using jack-1.9.6 and qjackctl). It has to be either "-Xseq" or no X-flag at all.

LeatusPenguin
Paul : Here's the URL - http://pastebin.com/2dWhT3xm

Peder : I didn't connect the MIDI output to Ardours control input. I have never tried this before so excuse my ignorance. I only did what i saw in the instructions. Where do i do this? In Jack or Ardour? Could very well be the problem. Sorry for bothering you with this guys. It's probably is something simple and obvious to you but it isn't to me :P

peder
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Item 2 says : Connect Ardour's MIDI port named "control" to whatever hardware or software you want (using a MIDI patchbay app). Unless you have connected it nothing's gonna work.

I have no experience with Patchage but if you are starting jack through QjackCtl you click the Connect button, go to the ALSA tab, click on your MIDI output in the Readable/Output window, click on Ardours control input in the Writable/Input window and click the Connect button.
Something similar needs to be done in Patchage, if you can get a screenshot of your setup and post it somewhere I can take a look.

And as I said before; you can't use the -Xraw flag what you start jack (it seems).

LeatusPenguin
"Go to the ALSA tab, click on your MIDI output in the Readable/Output window, click on Ardours control input in the Writable/Input window and click the Connect button"

That's what i was missing. Thank you both very much for the help and Ardour 3 is looking good Paul :) Keep up the good work.