how do i record audio from a flash file on a webpage?

hi ya’ll. this program sure looks sweet. i just downloaded it for fedora core 5 linux. i’m using the italian interface (btw, how do i change it to english?).

i was wondering how to record what is being played by the speakers (what is this called? line out?). i was playing a flash video from youtube and was wondering how i could record the audio of what was being played. they play stuff in flash so if it was a downloadable avi or something i could do it with mplayer/mencoder, but its not. i am a total sound mixing newbie.

thanks for any help =)

when i start jackd i get:

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver …
creating alsa driver … hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
the playback device “hw:0” is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns

when i start jack_capture it says:
jack server not running? (Unable to create jack client “jack_capture”)

are you using qjackctl?
if not, you should!
in my qjackctl setup there is a `artsshell -q terminate´ entry.
that runs as a script, before jackd will be started!
if any other sound deamon is working on your machine (oss, arts,) jackd will not start.
perhaps you can do a reboot an make ps ax to see what is runing pre default, after a fresh reboot?

cheers,
doc

Nickelus: obviously, another program is using your soundcard. Jack needs exclusive access to the sound card to run in full-duplex. You should try running jack in capture only mode and see if that works.

i ran alsamixer and this is what it said at the top when i pushed F4:
Card: Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Chip: SigmaTel STAC9750,51

but i didn’t see anything about PCM/Wave there in the options…only these:
3D Contr 3D Contr Line CD Mic Video Phone IEC958 P Aux Capture Mix

i’m on a dell inspiron 510m laptop btw

Thanks for your reply =)

this worked great! thanks so much for the javimoya link!
i also tried the jackd and jack_capture thing, but didn’t get it to work. i ran jackd like this:
jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 &

(have no clue if that is right, don’t know which driver to use…)

then i ran jack_capture like this:
jack_capture --port alsa_pcm:playback_1 --port alsa_pcm:playback_2

it was in the readme file of jack_capture, but i don’t know if that is correct either. what happened was that they started fine, but when i went to play a flash file there was no sound from the flash file, so it was recording nothing basically…

hi,
try starting qjackctl and than in the console typing only “jack_capture”.
it will write a .wav file on that place you started it from.
so in my case.

cheers,
doc

A tricky question. I see a few options to do this in general cases.

1. 2 soundcards and a cable going from the one playing flash to the inputs of the 2nd one. while this sounds complicated, this is the one method which will always work.
  2. Use wrapper software like jackasyn to start the browser to make flash (and all audio output from the browser) go to jackd. These wrappers a a bit fidgety and might not work at all.
  3. Run jackd capture only and use the mixer of the soundcard to capture what it plays back (=flash). This depends on your hardware a lot and might not work at all either.

For youtube though, there is a very simple method. Use this service (http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php) to get a download link for the youtube video file (.flv). Download the file and then extract the audio as a .wav with mplayer:

mplayer -vo null -ao pcm:file=output.wav [file.flv]

output.wav will then contain the audio from the youtube video.

hi, i am using jack_capture for recording from flash.
starting in a terminal, it records everything what is an line out.
when recording finished, i import the file into ardour for editing the start and end position.

cheers,
doc

If you have something like a consumer card, emu10k1 (SBLive) say, you can just select PCM/Wave as the recording source with alsamixer (press F4 for Capture options). Then record pcm_capture 1 and 2.

ooo thanks for the links :smiley:

Gota take me a good few days to read up on linux now lol

Ahh, I was just going to point out that in Win2K/XP, you get a command prompt by running ‘cmd’ (Start >> Run). Then, if the location of mplayer.exe is in your Path variable (Control Panel >> System, Advanced tab, Environment Variables button, System Variables section), the commands listed above ought to work just fine. The Win32 port of mplayer is almost as good as the real thing :wink:

For Linux: It’s been a while but I recall www.linuxquestions.org is a decent community forum. For reading material, try www.linux.org and www.tldp.org. I guess you need to pick something to install, and www.distrowatch.com may be of some assistance. That should get you started… anyone want to add/detract?

It windows unfortunately lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive always wanted to try out linux though, are there any sites or large forums you could point me to to get some basic knowledge on setting up, and how stuff will be running??

It sounds like you’re not running Linux, then… is it Windows or (hopefully) MacOSX?

Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but i just got Mplayer running, but how do i enter my command lines?? Must i be running Linux??

It seems that running the command line for Mplayer and creating an output .wav file would be the best to rip the audio without having to buy new software.

Anyone able to help me out?

You also might be able to make use of what is called a “transcoder” service (which is popping up all over the web these days). try this:
http://vixy.net
It will take a flash url you feed it and convert to one of several different downloadable formats. Also search google for “transcoder”.